Steering play video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Not quite sure what steering box I have it is a 1983 cutlass Calais with a 1968 sbo 350 the power steering pump is the Saginaw for a 1968 I think

All bushings mood and replaced front coils and shocks replaced replaced Michelin defender tires replaced lower steering shaft and rag joint seems and great shape. Tilt column. Can’t seem to figure out how to find my play or if I’m just expecting a little too much tightness of steering wise.

At the farthest I’m turning the wheel in the video the car very slightly moves either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you need to check each component, have someone turn the steering wheel while you inspect all the components. It could be play in the steering box

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Ok so that’s not the normal amount of play? And should I do that motor on or off to inspect the components like I said the lower steering shaft and rag joint are pretty much new.

I’ll get a picture when I’m around the car again

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
AAZ-27-6510_ml.jpp

Not a real picture but temporarily I’m fairly certain mine looks like this

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a picture isn't going to tell us much, if you don't have anyone to play with the wheel with the engine running you can always use an adjustable wrench on the lower steering shaft and turn it back and forth watching the rag joint then the pinion to see if there is play in the box. The tie rods, center ling (aka drag bar) and idler can be checked with a large set pliers, if there is no play there check the ball joints and the play in the wheel hubs.

Reactions: 1 user

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Ok I’ll try to take a look see and the picture was of the box based on the internet and autozone since mine is a Calais non hurst is a 7525 3.3 turns lock to lock

The performance part list for the hurst is #6561 so I think eventually I’ll look into that and it’s a 2.5 turn

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Instead of a live helper you can stick a camera and record the components (lost)motion as you turn the wheel slightly back and forth. Also it's a not a fair comparison to compare steering feel of G Body's to modern cars. My 86 SS had some play in the steering wheel and poor straightline stability. I checked for any worn steering components, adjusted the slightly loose wheel bearings, changed the PS fluid, thoroughly lubed all fittings and with the front wheels off the ground adjusted the steering box(see YouTube for tips)and those steps made a noticeable improvement. I can now change the radio station without changing lanes. I also upgraded to a Jeep steering shaft.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Ok thanks for the suggestions I appreciate it

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I My 86 SS had some play in the steering wheel and poor straightline stability. I checked for any worn steering components, adjusted the slightly loose wheel bearings, changed the PS fluid, thoroughly lubed all fittings and with the front wheels off the ground adjusted the steering box(see YouTube for tips)and those steps made a noticeable improvement. I can now change the radio station without changing lanes. I also upgraded to a Jeep steering shaft.

if you have poor straight line I would check the caster setting and you should not have play in the steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor