Steering shaft boot availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Does anyone know if these steering shaft boots are avaliable? Also has anyone rebuilt the stock steering shaft where it meets the column? How does that come apart, the little tabs I'm guessing?
20220512_204559.jpg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Check with Dixie, I thought I saw one there. I know I've seen them out there. Even check with Classic Industries since a 3rd gen F body would use the same as our cars.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
You will need a press to get the pins out of the end of the shaft.
My boot came from Classic Industries.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Appears Jeeps have all sorts of issues tearing this boot, etc., etc., so I was piddling around looking at how people do it. While the upper metal "cover" or grease cup goes over the pin/blocks underneath, many people says yes, you need a press to get that block pin off to replace the boot. Others who did it say they just soaked the rubber boot in some hot azz water for a while and made it super pliable and worked it over the pin without having to press out anything making things a whole lot easier. That bottom boot clip looks like it could be a **** though.

EDIT: The **** above actually was the word "m-f" without the hyphen but obviously got axed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I did mine with the ball joint boot from a chrysler screw-in balljoint. Was $3

Hardest part was getting the crimped-over "teeth" holding the boot down opened up. Pretty stout stuff.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I've got some trial and error ahead. I'll snag one of those from Mike's Montes. Figured it would be best to replace while I'm doing the rag joint on the other end

newmexguy

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2021
Las Cruces NM 88005
This is the type of thread that should be made into a "sticky" That boot, on pretty much all older cars and trucks, simply wears out, and tears.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor