steering shaft removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommytpk

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2014
hi,
I bought an astro van shaft from a good fellow here on the board, and I have some questions about removing my stock shaft. I don't want to damage anything, so I thought I'd ask before I start. The gear box is already out, and a new 800 is going in. There was no through bolt holding the shaft to the steering column, just a nut on one side. How do I now remove it without damaging the column?

Also, when I go to install the astro van shaft, what size through bolt do I need?

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
All you need to do is break the nut loose, then the bolt should come out with a minor amount of persuasion. The bolt is similar to a carriage bolt.

If the astro shaft didn't come with pinch bolts, you will need two M10-1.5x30mm bolts. Preferably class 10.9 as that's the metric equivalent to grade 8. The oem bolts are a flange head bolt...if you can't locate those local to you a regular hex cap screw with a high strength washer will suffice, just make sure the OD of the washer will sit into the recess on the shaft.

HTH

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Thank you! I will have to check the box and see if the pinch bolts came with it.
Cool, keep us posted man. If need be, i can post a pic of the pinch bolt. My astro shaft is sitting in my shed awaiting to be swapped, so i can unscrew one a snap a pic.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor