Steering shaft removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I've taken the nut all the way off, gearbox is out. Still can't wiggle or pull the old shaft off. Suggestions PLEASE

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
vice grips on the shaft and a few taps with a hammer should free it

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
And maybe some penetrating oil for good measure.
So if the gear box is out, does that mean it's hanging off the steering column now? I think I needed a hammer for mine as well, but I was more-so trying to compress the shaft since my steering box was still in. It put up a good fight. Once you bang it off of there see if you can run it in and out of itself a few times, just to free it up a little.

• Agree

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Yes I did also take the bolt out, I may not be a mechanic, but I'm not that green LOL Since the gearbox was out I had room to wrap a chain around it and used a slide hammer between the bumper and sway bar to yank it off. Almost all back together, when I went to put my pulley on my 2nd new pump I saw it was slightly bent. New one arriving tomorrow.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I got the Jeep shaft from Timo22,went on real nice. Also installed the SS/GN steering box,new pump and hoses.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor