Steering Shaft upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Searched for some info but only for sale threads popped up.What is the advantage of the Astro van and Jeep steering shafts everyone is selling here for G bodies.I have never had any issues with any of mine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It eliminates the rag joint at the steering box and replaces it with a u-joint.
I actually went with a new cut to size Borgenson collapsible shaft and billet u-joints since on my Monte I needed maximum header clearance.

• Clever
Reactions: 6 users

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Thanks for the info guys now I know...565bb...I can see the need on your car...everything looks sandwiched in there but I do love it...was thinking a possible BBC in my 84'Hurst but we will see.

Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
It eliminates the rag joint at the steering box and replaces it with a u-joint.
I actually went with a new cut to size Borgenson collapsible shaft and billet u-joints since on my Monte I needed maximum header clearance.

Yeah with a BBC, the Jeep shafts are just a little too thick in the wrong spot and a Borgenson/Flaming river shaft is pretty much required.

The Jeep shafts have a much better attachment method (an actual thru bolt clamp vs. using set screws for "clamps") than the Flaming River, and I'd swap my $300 Flaming River for a $12 Jeep shaft in a minute if only the jeep shaft would fit (I could probably do it in under 5 minutes).

I used a Jeep shaft in my 442 with an L98 w/headers. I eliminated the fat rubber isolator on top by tack welding the joint, then cutting away the bulk of it. I have pics somewhere here.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
You should consider an Astro Van shaft. They are a lot slicker than the jeep shafts. They do not have the bulky rubber insulator. Like the jeep shaft, they have a double u-joint set up. However they must be reclocked to keep your steering wheel in the right position. A member 87MCSS sells them. He also goes by the shaft guy..
Timo22

• Winner

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
However they must be reclocked to keep your steering wheel in the right position
reclocking the shaft is one option.
when i installed my astro van shaft, i filed a tooth off the inner spline of the lock plate and reclocked it in the steering column. i would love to say its easier, but you have to remove the steering wheel and lock plate to do it.
and you still need to perform an alignment to finish the job.
joe

Reactions: 1 user

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Oldsmobile joe, I've never heard of anyone needing a front end alignment and swapping steering shafts..
Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, Mc87ss reclocked the shafts himself so you can just bolt them on. I was just letting guys know that the Astro van shaft needs to be reclocked just in case they want to go to the yards and pick one themselves....timo22

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the Astro shaft and one reason I like them in addition to what has been mentioned is the shaft lived in a rubber cocoon so they look like new when you remove them.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor