Steering shaft upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Can anyone who has used the Jeep steering shaft to upgrade their ride tell how in the world I get the shaft length extended like it's advertised to do? I don't want to beat on it with a hammer. Any advice?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Mine is pretty tight, I think I bolted one end up and rubber mallet tapped on the other end, it eventually went to proper length. I squirted some silicone spray in it, seems to help.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Can anyone who has used the Jeep steering shaft to upgrade their ride tell how in the world I get the shaft length extended like it's advertised to do? I don't want to beat on it with a hammer. Any advice?
is it new or second hand? I only ask because in my experience they have to be heated to melt whatevers keeping it from collapsing.i couldn't get it freed up otherwise.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I had the jeep shaft in my car, I also had to heat it gently to collapse it to fit. Now using the Astro/ Safari shaft, re-clocked. I like the Astro shaft a lot better. It seems like a stronger well constructed piece. Just my opinion. I like either one to replace the rag joint shaft.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
If the length does not float. Throw it out.

When the frame is moving around, relative to the body. Your column bearings and the steering box bearings will not be happy.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Mine is pretty tight, I think I bolted one end up and rubber mallet tapped on the other end, it eventually went to proper length. I squirted some silicone spray in it, seems to help.
Thanks. Before I start beating on something I want to make sure that is what is supposed to done.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
If the length does not float. Throw it out.

When the frame is moving around, relative to the body. Your column bearings and the steering box bearings will not be happy.
Thank you.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
After hunting/searching and finally getting my hands on a jeep shaft, I also found there was an issue with the length being too long. Since this intermediate shaft was also an integral safety part, I decided the best option for my 87 El Camino was an Astro van shaft with functional collapsing mechanism.

Reactions: 2 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I want to say this without hurting too many feeling since I know many have made this upgrade to u joints.

A Jeep and an Astro are not body on frame construction. That is why they do not require a floating joint.
The collapsing feature is to crush in an accident.

The original steering shaft has 2 sliders in a knuckle. There is a difference. If you had both in front of you, you can easily understand.

Also a rag joint is not a source of slop. It only is when it's broken.

Attachments

• 20221211_215130.jpg
    20221211_215130.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 90
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor