steering shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
starting to hoard parts for spring time for my 87 cutlass . i saw this steering shaft on eBay was wondering if this is the one everyone is using for their swap.

$49.99/ea

Lower Power Steering Shaft compatible for Jeep Cherokee 1984-1994 compatible for Jeep​

1669606559419.png

Reactions: 1 user

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
Ordered one yesterday from a different vendor, same part number off thEbay~ Should know more by the weekend ~ The specs on the one I ordered length seemed right ~

Last edited:

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
You need to know what is under that boot. A G body steering shaft needs to easily float in and out. I don't mean it can shortened in an accident or you tap it with a hammer to install it to the correct length.

Look at how the OEM shaft is, they are sliders in a greased coupling. This allows the separate body and constantly flexing frame to not allow the steering column to load the bearing in the steering box.

I know many people have used the unibody Jeep steering shaft but there is a reason why the OEM shaft can float to correct length. Comparing a broken rag joint to a universal joint is a poor comparison. New to new, one is not tighter.

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
This one floats & dropped right in.

I'm on the right track?

Attachments

• IMG_0163.PNG
    IMG_0163.PNG
    297.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    967.7 KB · Views: 132

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
This one floats & dropped right in.

I'm on the right track?
nice to know. will be placing a order after the holidays, have to get the long Christmas shopping list in first.
just wondering how to go about post picture of my project on the site. i know how to cut and paste picture off web, but haven't figured how to download the ones off my phone.

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
I clicked on attached files & uploaded from PC
Capture.JPG

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
nice to know. will be placing a order after the holidays, have to get the long Christmas shopping list in first.
just wondering how to go about post picture of my project on the site. i know how to cut and paste picture off web, but haven't figured how to download the ones off my phone.
Look for that, find photos, attach, insert.

Screenshot_20221208-070422_Samsung Internet.jpg

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
actually rt jam the top side is only clamp tight, no notch for the retaining bolt. kinda concerning but i tightened her up & used locktight on the top bolt

sure i could engineer back up retention (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor