Steering wheel cleaning questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I have a 1979 Malibu and the steering wheel has sticky black residue all around it how can I clean it and what should I use to get it good and clean

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Concur with the dawn wash. I'm guessing your type of steering wheels act like the 70s Olds 4 spoke sport steering wheels. The rims would bleed a sticky goo. For years and years....to this day they bleed. I think they have some repros now, but not sure if they bleed like that. All you can do is wash it off. But It should be good to go for a good while again once you do.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I really like purple power on old plastic. It seems to have some renewing oils in it or something. Dawn is good, and so is Tide. Whichever way you go, I'd pull it off so you don't make a huge mess.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My brother's car is a 78 Z28 Camaro. When we were restoring it, his steering wheel was very sticky but not black. The stickiness would not go away with soap and water or with Windex. The interior of his car was light blue, which is sort of rare and the Z28 takes a rope style wheel so a light blue rope style wheel is fairly rare. We ended up cleaning his steering wheel with 3m Adhesive Remover and it worked great. The car has been running for three or four years and the stickiness has not returned. I would test the 3m on your wheel in an inconspicuous area to make sure you don't suffer a disaster, finish wise, but it will get rid of the sticky.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, the old Olds 4 spokes were a smooth finish, so that bleed out is a whole lot easier to wash off. I remember those rope wheels on the old Z28s. WHY I ask....

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
I have an olds 4 spoke wheel with a sticky residue that I could not remove. Its clean but sticky. I tried windex and even soaked the wheel in dawn soapy water. Nothing. I'll try the adhesive remover as advised. Thanks everyone.

Dickeymoore, let us know if you try the adhesive remover and how it works for you. I'll report back as well.

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
I first try a degreaser, simple green, purple power, Dawn and scrub using an old tooth brush.

Now that the wheel is clean, if the stickiness remains I've had good luck with just plain isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Put some on a rag and wipe over the wheel. Continue until it's not sticky anymore then I condition the wheel if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor