Steering Wheel Horn Trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Anyone know a place that sells the piece of trim for this steering wheel ?
I bought one off of ebay and its crap. The tabs arent molded onto the trim. They were little tabs glued to the trim and the first one broke right off as I was installing it. The rest I snapped off with my thumb.
Are there any good reproductions sold ?
IMG_1241.JPG

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Back when I thought about using one of those wheels, I considered making an insert out of stainless or aluminum, with some short pieces tacked on at the holes to bend over.to retain it.

Alternatively, the base wheel has the same shape, but without the plastic trim, and a small bowtie....cleaner IMO
978sIm.jpg

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Mitch...I have two factory inserts here...one completely intact and one about 99.9% intact. I've kinda been hanging on to them but am beginning to think that I likely will not have another car to use either on. If you'll give me a few days I'll give some thought on letting one go if you're interested.

zpt0lr.jpg

I did have a third but installed it in a mint wheel that I sold...

2gm7t8.jpg

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Mitch...I have two factory inserts here...one completely intact and one about 99.9% intact. I've kinda been hanging on to them but am beginning to think that I likely will not have another car to use either on. If you'll give me a few days I'll give some thought on letting one go if you're interested.

zpt0lr.jpg

I did have a third but installed it in a mint wheel that I sold...

2gm7t8.jpg

If you want to get rid of the one thats 100% let me know. If I cant find one Im interested. Having one thats 99% is no different than one thats 50%. LOL

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Back when I thought about using one of those wheels, I considered making an insert out of stainless or aluminum, with some short pieces tacked on at the holes to bend over.to retain it.

Alternatively, the base wheel has the same shape, but without the plastic trim, and a small bowtie....cleaner IMO
978sIm.jpg

I have one of those. Its just the wrong color gray.
IMG_1123.JPG

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
If you want to get rid of the one thats 100% let me know. If I cant find one Im interested. Having one thats 99% is no different than one thats 50%. LOL

The one I consider to be 99% is missing the very end that hooks into the pad. Would have never known it was missing when I pulled it as it fit and looked good, as hard as they are to find intact I wasn't going to leave it. Wheel was very sticky or I would have taken it complete.

vCyF0R.jpg

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Im heading back to the local yard tomorrow to look for one. I found three full size Chevys in another yard that had the right wheel but the inserts were all broken. I know they came on a few other models from the mid-late 80s. Also on some large step vans.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Im heading back to the local yard tomorrow to look for one. I found three full size Chevys in another yard that had the right wheel but the inserts were all broken. I know they came on a few other models from the mid-late 80s. Also on some large step vans.

Mitch were you able to find an insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor