Steering wheel nut clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Not sure if this is better suited in the interior forum or this one… but I installed my Grant steering wheel tonight. The center nut on top of the steering wheel, that goes on to the steering shaft, is there supposed to be a retaining clip on top of that, on our cars? It looks like there is supposed to be one. But my car didnt have one …

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
It originally came with this clip, GM part number 419454. Used up into the mid 90s also on Jeeps with the Saginaw type column.

Steering column nut retainer clip.419454.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
An E Clip will also work, any decent hardware store should have it. Need to measure the diameter of the groove to get the right size.

e clip.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Although not absolutely required, it's suggested you use one. It just keeps the wheel nut from falling completely off and having the steering wheel come off the shaft in your hands if driving down the road. There's a 79% chance of that retainer going missing when people do steering wheel/column work.

Should that ever happen, and I've personally never heard of that happening, you can just push the steering wheel away from you and get it back on the splines quickly.

The list price from GM is $4.31 each and as of last check, they're still showing available. They used to come in a bag of ten. Run away if you find those, because that's going to be $30 or more if you get a discount, for essentially 1 retainer you'll probably not lose again, and have a slew of leftovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor