Steering wheel resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm wrapping up a trailer I've been building to carry all my 'stuff' for the road trips in OLDScool. I plan to leave in a few weeks - hugging the coastline, staying in parks all the way to Brownsville, TX, then up the border to Big Bend National Park. It'll be a couple months on the road.
Have you been building a travel trailer of sorts? Cool, could you post a pic of it when you get a chance? I've actually been kicking around the thought of building a teardrop trailer to be pulled by my wagon.
Sounds like you have a nice road trip in store.

Reactions: 1 users

Onehit

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2013
Old Bridge, New Jersey
This is a burgundy Wheel Skinz cover over a brown full leather wheel I dyed with SEM burgundy to replace the partial leather wheel in my H/O. Its not a perfect match to the SEM dye though. Just a tip, its alot easier if you take the wheel off to cover it.

Attachments

• 20190825_224151.jpg
    20190825_224151.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
D,
Your wheel came out amazing. Wow!! What an enhancement. :love:

Thanks Jack!
Here’s the completed restoration...

D41D155C-1AB4-44D0-90ED-C8EC65C0D63F.jpeg

...and it installed in the car.

131ED3EB-4B8B-42FF-A0D9-6AEEE32D1143.jpeg

2BF43CE7-0F75-4062-B8BF-8026AC552A5E.jpeg

CC9D6DF6-EE65-4576-B6D5-30F174DEECB2.jpeg

I’m very happy with it now.
😊

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
And a 140km/h speedometer! Now if you could please stop tracking the sanding dust into the car with you...

Oh, and we're really pleased with the way it turned out.

Details!

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
And a 140km/h speedometer! Now if you could please stop tracking the sanding dust into the car with you...

Oh, and we're really pleased with the way it turned out.

Details!

Thanks!
Wish I could stop tracking that stuff in, it’s horrible stuff and gets absolutely EVERYWHERE!
The deets on the steering wheel are in my build thread...

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Jack!
Here’s the completed restoration...

View attachment 121897

...and it installed in the car.

View attachment 121898

View attachment 121899

View attachment 121900

I’m very happy with it now.
😊
Very nice, Mr. D,
In my opinion, it looks better than a new wheel. Overall it looks great. I like the three spoke style the best.
I noticed that you originally gave it the brushed look. What did they do to the spokes. Did they paint or coat it with something?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Very nice, Mr. D,
In my opinion, it looks better than a new wheel. Overall it looks great. I like the three spoke style the best.
I noticed that you originally gave it the brushed look. What did they do to the spokes. Did they paint or coat it with something?

Thank you Jack.

I like this 3 spoke wheel the best out of the OEM ones as well. I did not give it the brushed look, I simply put it back on after removing some deep scratches from the spokes. It had a brushed finish on it to begin with.

The shop I took it to was after I had made the spoke repairs, they only refinished and redyed the grip. I was the one that handled everything to do with the spokes and center section, I lightly dusted some silver on it then applied 3 coats of 2K matte clear to protect it.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The shop I took it to was after I had made the spoke repairs, they only refinished and redyed the grip. I was the one that handled everything to do with the spokes and center section, I lightly dusted some silver on it then applied 3 coats of 2K matte clear to protect it.
Ah, I knew the spokes looked different. They almost appear to be glass beaded or another type of media. The light dusting of silver and the matte clear seemed to make the difference. Great job my friend! Again, did I expect substandard work from you...not a chance...;)(y)

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Man, those olds wheels are sharp! I know this is sacrilege, but I’m now wondering if I could somehow get a bowtie one and still have it look stock......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor