CUTLASS Steering wheel revival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Good evening,

Went searching through my parts stash last night looking for a radiator hold down plate and found this.

20191208_222424.jpg

No cracks but has a very sticky coating like its leaching out moisture/oil. Its dirty from being in a not completely air tight storage container.

Is this steering wheel able to be cleaned to be usedable again? Hate to give up on it since it could replace the craptastic steering wheel currently in my car.

20191208_222433.jpg

20191208_222443.jpg

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Try washing it in some Dawn dish soap, and reevaluate. There are companies that restore them if you want to shell out the cash, or you can get those stitch on leather covers.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
I'm a DIY guy so I'll be trying this myself. I'll try the dawn wipe down tonight. Do I use straight lacquer thinner after the dawn or a diluted mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor