Steering wheel spinning when started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swhite

n00b
Dec 15, 2021
So i recently put my 403 in my 82 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Took the steering column apart to tightened the four housing bolts inside, got it all installed back correctly. went to do a test drive around the block and my steering wheel shot to one side super fast then went back and forth then the motor seemed to bog out and die! Now theres no ignition power at all. Any suggestions???

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
You messed up your steering column wiring. As to the steering turning side to side, that is not possible. There is no electrical connection to you steering gear. Are you running electric steering?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Some missing details...

is this the same PS pump that was in the car before?

Were the original lines reused?

Were lines connected to the correct fitting on the box?

I had a friend that had a SBC in a '40 Chevrolet with a Mustang II steering rack that had this same issue...turned out to have something to do with check valves in the pump and the difference in Ford and GM systems.

First step is to eliminate any variables from the original configuration.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You put the lower steering lines in the opposite ports.

Reactions: 1 user

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
When i first started my car i was reaching through the window/through the wheel to turn the key and it spun like that till the pump stalled and burned the belt. About broke my arm. I put a video link on here to my youtube video of just cranking it making it turn.
Your steering gearbox has siezed checkballs from rust or dirt. Mine was rusted from sitting 18 years and getting water in it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
So i recently put my 403 in my 82 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Took the steering column apart to tightened the four housing bolts inside, got it all installed back correctly. went to do a test drive around the block and my steering wheel shot to one side super fast then went back and forth then the motor seemed to bog out and die! Now theres no ignition power at all. Any suggestions???
Welcome to the forum from West Michigan. You might want to introduce yourself with some pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor