Stereo feedback when motor running

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey guys I have a new stereo in my malibu, head unit and 4 speaker system. Sounds fine with motor not running but when it is running i am getting a lot of popping and static. Thoughts?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Start with confirming that you have good grounding motor-body-frame. The old braided body-motor leads usually break or corrode.

What spark plugs and wires are you running? You need the resistive type plugs and shielded factory-style spark plug wires to dampen the under hood transmitter...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Start with confirming that you have good grounding motor-body-frame. The old braided body-motor leafs usually break or corrode.

What spark plugs and wires are you running? You need the resistive type plugs and shielded factory-style spark plug wires to dampen the under hood transmitter...
Thanks for the reply. I have a fresh strap from motor to body. I am not sure about body to frame, where should the original it be located?

Running max fire wires by edelbrock and ngk plugs on a carb swapped lt1. Wires claim to have high RFI suppression per manufacturer’s website at least..

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
If you find the need for the power into your stereo to be filtered I would add the capacitors as close to the radio chassis as you can get them.

These capacitors can be had pretty cheap as generic electronic components from places like digikey or mouser.

RNS1.png

RNS2.png

RNS3.png

RNS4.png

RNS5.png

RNS6.png

RNS7.png

RNS8.png

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: 5 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
In the past, most of us who installed our own stereo system, used a noise suppressor filter that is connected inline from the power source to the radio.

ignition noise suppressor.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
In the past, most of us who installed our own stereo system, used a noise suppressor filter that is connected inline from the power source to the radio.
Thanks all. Ernest, is this likely to fix the issue? Where exactly does it get wired? I wired this unit over the winter but I believe I used the factory harness hot-accessory wire.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
The one shown as an example.... the RED wire would be connected to the typical GM radio YELLOW wire comming from the fuse pannel, the BLUE wire will connect to the power input to the stereo, and the BLACK wire goes to chassis ground anywhere under the dash.

Reactions: 1 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Is there a frame-to-body ground strap location on g body?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor