Stereo Sound in an '84 GN

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot air 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2016
My son is giving me a 15 inch sub-woofer that he had in a previous car of his. I know all Delco systems use ungrounded speakers and my owner's manual cautions against adding a CB for example, as it could damage the speakers. I am looking to see what i might have to add to drive the existing speakers and the sub.
There doesn't appear to be a model no. anywhere on the radio. The only number is AB09GNFM20E.

It is a basic AM/FM cassette stereo unit.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to how to add in the sub?

hot air 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2016
So it's not the stock stereo, so does the day 2 radio have RCA Jack's in the back or it's not that modern
No, it is stock - I'm second owner - bought 1988 - change radio out and saved original. Put original back a fews years back . Radio dates to 1984 when car was manufactured.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
My son is giving me a 15 inch sub-woofer that he had in a previous car of his. I know all Delco systems use ungrounded speakers and my owner's manual cautions against adding a CB for example, as it could damage the speakers. I am looking to see what i might have to add to drive the existing speakers and the sub.
There doesn't appear to be a model no. anywhere on the radio. The only number is AB09GNFM20E.

It is a basic AM/FM cassette stereo unit.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to how to add in the sub?
So if it's not an aftermarket one with the 2 red & white RCA jacks... and is the original Delco cassette player? Then use a line output converter, and it doesn't have to be this exact one either.

Basically, you cut all 4 rear speaker cables, and make Y cables out of them. So 2 negatives and 2 positives for the speakers, and 2 negatives and 2 positives for the converter.

You will also need a good amp. That will be powered by some cabling between 2 to 0 AWG that runs from the battery, through a 100A mega fuse, through the firewall, down by the passenger side floor, behind the rear seats, into your trunk.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Find an EQ tape deck. Quite literally 2-3x louder.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
This could get fun

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor