Sticker Shock TV Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I think if someone would try a hot rod type window lift, universal window channel maybe there could be hope for a drop window.
I was actually thinking some sort of extended cab pickup rear window regulator, like a Colorado.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I was actually thinking some sort of extended cab pickup rear window regulator, like a Colorado.
This idea came to be because of how thin some of the older street rod doors are & it would/should be compact in size & have an flat universal glass mount (Model A, 30's something roadsters.) Another idea is the old seat belt strap set up like what Dodge had in the dealer sold Dart racers.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Glass would have to go back sharply as it went down to miss the inner structure of the door shell/hinge area. At best, I'm thinking about 3 inches of downward movement.

I've used the vent windows and just lower the fronts a few inches, gets pretty good airflow when moving. Standing still is going to be hot whether the windows went all the way down or not without A/C.

Just fix the A/C, it really doesn't take much to turn the pulley if you're racing with it "off"....probably just as big a loss from air drag with all the windows open anyway.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I’ve wondered about this mod for a while, but have been told enough times “Can’t be done” or “Not worth the trouble” that I’ve pretty much given up on it. My main focus right now is performance and drivetrain.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I’ve wondered about this mod for a while, but have been told enough times “Can’t be done” or “Not worth the trouble” that I’ve pretty much given up on it. My main focus right now is performance and drivetrain.
Yeah, well, those phrases aren't in my vocabulary. I see it more as a challenge.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Holy shart, let's put an end to this.

Here's why it won't happen
SAM_1791.JPG
SAM_1792.JPG
SAM_1793.JPG

These pics show how the glass is farther forward than the door hinges. Glass would have to go back as it goes down to clear the hinges. Problem with that its that the shape of the glass and the existence of the vent window assembly won't allow that to happen.

Then there's the whole issue ofthe inner panel is totally the wrong shape to attach a regulator to.

You could get this much, coming straight down

SAM_1795.JPG

Max possible opening, IF you engineer a regulator to lower an inch, then slide back to hold glass against the division bar...which will need to be extended to retain glass, and you won't be able to use a cable style regulator, since it requires movement in 2 axises

SAM_1794.JPG

I suppose with enough time, money, and engineering, it could be done, but if GM didn't think it was worth engineering a solution, I sure don't think it is either.

Maybe a design like the classic era quarter glass regulators, where the rollers ride in curved slots. I'd rather spend my time on something a little more productive.

Last edited:
  • Winner

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
That second pic is a pretty good sized opening. If it would open that big, I’d be pretty happy. But making the mechanism to make it happen seems like it would be an expensive PITA. :cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor