Still Have a Few Questions About The Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm sorry that's what i've got on my end for the wiring too.if you can't figure this out utilizing the oe wires you can still hook up that switch via the start wire on the solenoid

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
make sure the lower part of the upper column is turned in the park position

I dont think theres anything on the column that moves now but I'll look tomorrow. Back in '08 I sent the original column to a shop in MI that changed it all over to a column for a floor shifter. For all I know the place might have sent me one off their shelf. Everything on it was new. Right down to the key switch.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Just called the shop that converted the column. Everything on the old column that had to do with the NSS was removed. So now Im really stuck. The starter cranks with or without the two wires connected and it seems like theres no logical answer. Im probably going to ask around on some of the other forums. Maybe someone else has gone through this.
The directional arrow might also be a pain in the butt to figure out. I asked the guy that did the column what he thought since the control is on the column. He said its being back fed. Check all the grounds first. My plan it to start with the easy ones under the hood.
Im so close to having this car finished. Pisses me off that a stupid electrical issue will hold things up.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
So, what's the problem here? You want/need an actual NSS that doesn't work off the column? The aftermarket shifter has a switch for it and you need to wire it up?
1- figure out the switch configuration on the shifter (normally open or normally closed)
2- cut the purple starter wire at the ignition switch
3- put the ends to 87 & 30 of a good quality 5 pin relay
4- use the switch in the shifter to engage the relay to allow start (85 or 86 to ignition and a ground coming from the shifter switch.
Done.
Extra craftiness bonus points for hiding a starter disable switch inline with the shifter switch.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
So, what's the problem here? You want/need an actual NSS that doesn't work off the column? The aftermarket shifter has a switch for it and you need to wire it up?
1- figure out the switch configuration on the shifter (normally open or normally closed)
2- cut the purple starter wire at the ignition switch
3- put the ends to 87 & 30 of a good quality 5 pin relay
4- use the switch in the shifter to engage the relay to allow start (85 or 86 to ignition and a ground coming from the shifter switch.
Done.
Extra craftiness bonus points for hiding a starter disable switch inline with the shifter switch.

You do realize that electrical stuff is not something I know how to do well. What you just wrote might as well have been written in Russian. You lost me after the first sentence. LMAO
Shouldnt the NSS connector and wire thats hanging there do that ? I know its the correct wire and plug.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
There is no start relay on a G body, so the actual shift mechanism in the column interrupts the starter in the ignition switch itself. SO, if you want it to work, you need the backdrive linkage from the shift pawl on the trans up to the column. Or, you can wire your own in the way I described.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
There is no start relay on a G body, so the actual shift mechanism in the column interrupts the starter in the ignition switch itself. SO, if you want it to work, you need the backdrive linkage from the shift pawl on the trans up to the column. Or, you can wire your own in the way I described.

So my question for you. If that wire in the first photo is for the NSS, It went to the shift mechanism on the column right ? Now that theres nothing left of the mechanism on the column shouldnt that wire go to the micro switch on the shifter ? Pretty much a plug and play like the reverse light wires ?
I understand the backdrive linkage idea but doesnt the NSS wire in the photo hook up to that ? This craps confusing. LOL

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Im not positive but isnt the neutral safety switch is more of a mechanical interlock that keeps the key from turning the ignition switch all the way except for in park or neutral, rather than an electrical interruption. if the mechanical parts have all been removed there is no need to back drive it off of the transmission linkage. if you want it to start only on park or neutral cut the purple wire and wire it to your switch on the shifter

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Im not positive but isnt the neutral safety switch is more of a mechanical interlock that keeps the key from turning the ignition switch all the way except for in park or neutral, rather than an electrical interruption. if the mechanical parts have all been removed there is no need to back drive it off of the transmission linkage. if you want it to start only on park or neutral cut the purple wire and wire it to your switch on the shifter

That would make sense but the wire going from the bulkhead connector to the starter is 12GA. The micro switch for the shifter looks like its pretty light duty. The reverse light wires going to the second micro switch and the indicator light wires are only 18GA.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That would make sense but the wire going from the bulkhead connector to the starter is 12GA. The micro switch for the shifter looks like its pretty light duty. The reverse light wires going to the second micro switch and the indicator light wires are only 18GA.
Hence the need for the 5 pin relay.......
A relay takes a light duty signal to trigger a heavier duty switch- all in a nice, little 1"x1" cube.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor