Still Have One Wire With No ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Guys, Im down to one wire on the Alpine stereo that Im putting in my wagon. Its the yellow wire for constant power/battery. I figured I would just run it to the fuse block. No big deal.
I still have this one wire under the dash. I have no idea what its for. I dont think anyone could ID it in my other threads.
IMG_1592.JPG

Its a single brown wire.
I cant test it. Ive got no engine harness in and I wouldnt know where to begin trying to get power to the fuse block.
Can anyone ID this wire and plug ? Its in my 83 Malibu wagon.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The blower switch uses a yellow wire for the slow speed so it would be switched...why not tap into the lighter wire, it's fused in the fuse box

Last edited:

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
The blower switch uses a yellow wire for the slow speed so it would be switched...why not tap into the lighter wire, it's fused in the fuse box

I should have explained this better. The stereo has one wire that needs to be hooked up to constant power. Figured it would just be easier to run a line to the fuse block than to tap into the lighter hot wire. Especially since Im soldering and shrink tubing all the connections. I still dont know what this brown wire is for though.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
That wire I think controls the stock radio lights when you turn on the head lights i could be wrong. Check it with a test light and turn the head lights on.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
That wire I think controls the stock radio lights when you turn on the head lights i could be wrong. Check it with a test light and turn the head lights on.

LOL, did you read the whole post ? The motor and everything under the hood hasnt been installed. Ive got no engine harness and I dont know what I could use to power up the fuse block. In other words, cant use a test light.
From what Ive been told, this is one of the radio harnesses. Yellow was keyed power, black is ground and gray is illumination. Those wires have already been used.

IMG_1438.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I'm remembering something on that brown wire, but not sure if I'm right. I think it goes to the heat/ac circuit somehow... then again, that may be why I have a draw on my battery....

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
^ the grunt types faster than I do! :sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor