Still More Power Steering Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
This hose issue is quickly turning into a fiasco.
The auto parts that sold the fittings to me told me they could make them into a pressure line. Well, they were right. Sort of. The fittings are just tubes with an end that you would put a clamp on. Guy that makes the lines says he would just use a compression fitting adaptor on the tubing and then I can attach the lines. NOT what I wanted. Not even close.
I went to a hose shop and they said if I want to use the style of fitting I got from the auto parts they would braze the tube instead of a compression fitting. A little better I guess but still not into that.
I could get 2 metric adapters for the steering box that would change the fittings for the lines to flare instead of O ring. That doesnt sound bad, This way the lines could be like the ones on my 81.
Now the big question. The crate motor came with a new steering pump. I havent checked yet but it looks like the fitting for the pressure line comes right out of the back. I might need to remove it anyway due to the fact it has a plastic sleeve in it to protect the threads and I cant get the stupid thing out. It looks like its an O ring style fitting. Would the threads going into the pump be metric too ? Not the threads for the pressure line. The threads that hold that fitting into the back of the pump. Im thinking if theyre standard thread I might switch that fitting over to flare and it would be easier to get the lines made.
Anyone know for sure ?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I had a hydraulic hose place (Parker Store) make the pressure line for my Monte because I used a factory BBC power steering pump and I went with a braided hose to match my set up but I could have bought a factory looking black hose from them.
They gave me the hose with one fitting crimped on and then I took it home and marked how I wanted the other end clocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

James84SS

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2018
Detroit area
So i'm just finishing Going through the same issue's. I am putting March Performance serpentine conversion kit on my 350. There kit is all based off a 76 camaro power steering pump, those pumps have a mounting hole front and back at 6 o'clock. My Montes mounting holes are at 8 o'clock, that pump wont work. I purchased a Tuff Stuff new power steering pump that is clocked the way i need. But the pressure fitting on the back is i believe 5/8 inverted flare nut, the stock steering line for the Monte is I believe a 16 1.5mm O-ring. After going through all the ideas of making new lines or some other fitting's to mate them up. I just removed the nut out of the Monte's original pump and swapped it into the new pump. Now the new original steering lines fit perfect. Hope this helps

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mich,
Try this place out on the island. They're also an Aeroquip dealer. https://www.morelandhose.com/ My friend uses them, and I believe he knows the guy from years back. I think I might've bought some AN fittings from them years ago when I still lived in NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor