Stock 305, thoughts on 3” tubing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
i would go with 2.5" duals with a x or h pipe its not going to kill the 3-5 performance (mainly because 305 and performance dont really mix) but if you ever decide to upgrade engines you will be able to support well over 400 with that setup.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
i would go with 2.5" duals with a x or h pipe its not going to kill the 3-5 performance (mainly because 305 and performance dont really mix) but if you ever decide to upgrade engines you will be able to support well over 400 with that setup.

Depends on which 305 and what other mods have been done. An HO 305 has 2.25 exhaust and might see a couple more HP with a 2.5 exhaust. If the HO 305 has cam, intake, or header upgrades then a 2.5 exhaust would have a little more benefit. But on a typical stock LG4 305, there won't be much benefit with a 2.5 yet alone a 3 inch exhaust.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
Depends on which 305 and what other mods have been done. An HO 305 has 2.25 exhaust and might see a couple more HP with a 2.5 exhaust. If the HO 305 has cam, intake, or header upgrades then a 2.5 exhaust would have a little more benefit. But on a typical stock LG4 305, there won't be much benefit with a 2.5 yet alone a 3 inch exhaust.
Even an ho 305, still has ridiculous low hp, that unless for sound or if someone decides to add an power adder exhaust isnt going to change anything that you will notice. assuming asking about the exhaust i feel future upgrades are probably going to happen with his build

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
190 hp is decent power for an 80's car and with the 9.5 CR they respond better to improvements than most 305s. The stock exhaust manifolds and LG4 cat converters are bigger restrictions to HP than the exhaust pipe sizing.

Main point is that because 305s are smaller than 350s, they don't need big pipes. Headers and a L69 cat converter would be better exhaust upgrades than bigger pipes.

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Due to $ constraints I used the stock single 2.25" pipe removed the cat and into a 3" in 2.5" outs single to dual outs with a Series 40 Flow Master.Sounds way bigger than a 305. Likely not any gains, I know its not the right way to do duals but did not want to change too much from stock.I am a bit of a purist.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Due to $ constraints I used the stock single 2.25" pipe removed the cat and into a 3" in 2.5" outs single to dual outs with a Series 40 Flow Master.Sounds way bigger than a 305. Likely not any gains, I know its not the right way to do duals but did not want to change too much from stock.I am a bit of a purist.
clearly..

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I would use a 2 1/4 true dual exhaust with a "x" pipe and or cross over pipe .With a decent set of mufflers . High flow cats are an option depending on the state,

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I had an early 80’s monte years ago. I ran the y pipe straight to a cherry bomb, with no cat. It dumped at the rear, and everyone thought I had something crazy under the hood. The car sounded so good it was embarrassing to say what was really under the hood.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I had an early 80’s monte years ago. I ran the y pipe straight to a cherry bomb, with no cat. It dumped at the rear, and everyone thought I had something crazy under the hood. The car sounded so good it was embarrassing to say what was really under the hood.

That's no different than these kids today with loud turbo blow off valves on (fill in the blank commuter car) that happens to have a turbo 4 because everything does now. But a V8, especially a small black chevy has a real sound to it.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
That's no different than these kids today with loud turbo blow off valves on (fill in the blank commuter car) that happens to have a turbo 4 because everything does now. But a V8, especially a small black chevy has a real sound to it.
I had a Jetta with a 1.8L turbo 4 in it. With a chip upgrade it went from 150 to 200 hp in an afternoon. That car was pretty fun to drive. A bigger turbo and down pipe were on the agenda, but I traded it in for my pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor