Stock 8.5 rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
So I’m flipping through the posts today as I’m on duty at the fire station and thinking about the work I have for my restoration of my 87 442 and the differential comes to mind. I’m going to make it rear disk brakes but besides that it works fine no problems but it’s all original 170k miles and since I’m doing everything else should I just rebuild it also? G80 option 3:73. Besides taking it off the frame I haven’t opened it up. Should I think about axel replacement? Going to be about 400 hp with 200r4 rebuild. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Unless the seal surface is chewed I don’t think you’ll need axles. They should be 28 spline axles so it’ll be fine for driving around. The clutches in the differential may need to be replaced, and then bearings and seals. You’ll have to check the wear on the gear teeth and decide if they are still ok.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Ok thanks for that information. I’m not that knowledgeable about this. By wearing is it a rounding of the teeth and lash that determines how worn it is?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If ANYTHING is going to be considered "weak" on the 8.5, and it's still pretty stout, it would be the axles themselves. Increasing spline count would help, but that means installing a new center section as well. Going from 28 to 30 splines may not seem like much, but it will really strengthen it up. The thing to watch for is the axle eater wheel bearing surfaces on the axles and the spline wear itself.

The ACTUAL weakest point on the rear ends is the pinion shaft retainer bolt. Almost will guarantee that yours is broken if it's got 170K on it. Yet it's captured so it won't allow the pinion shaft to move much. You can find new ones everywhere. And you can still find GM pinion shafts for the G80 8.5" as well. Getting it out could be, well, er, let's just say it's fun to learn a new vocabulary.

With 170K, I'd imagine with more HP being thrown at it, the MINIMUM would be to rebuild what you have with new Timken bearings and an aftermarket clutch kit. You can find richmond gearset if you still need gears, so that's not a problem, but yeah, you'll need to probably run through the rear end while everything is out for peace of mind. At least THAT won't be your problem child when you're done.

Even the aftermarket clutch kit is better made than the original. Bruce Ponti had some made up several years ago and did have some left. Don't know if he's still got any. But check with him anyway. I got my set from him and it's super-nicely done.

If you have the time, you should check out this video of a rear-end being setup and how to do it. Very informative. Video is about 2 hours, so you may have to absorb it in chunks depending on your time availability. Guy explains almost everything.

Reactions: 1 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
That was a lot of good advice thanks. I’m on duty until the morning so I have time to watch it. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor