Stock cars vs modified

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Was wondering what people's thoughts are on the subject of keeping a car ( Gbodys ) stock or modifying them.

I've got my super low mileage 78 with 5 speed. Its bone stock. It's cool to drive because it's a stick, looks really nice, and it gets alot of looks. I'm fine with the fact it's not gonna win any races or handle like it's on rails but EVERYONE who sees it comments on how I 'gotta' do this this engine swap or I 'gotta' do that. They look at me like I should be checked into the psych ward when I tell them I'm fine with it the way it is.

Am I the only one who's OK with not modifying the living crap out of every aspect of an old car? When did 'performance' become the only quality that matters in how cool a car is?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would get bored real fast if I am not modifying a car, plus I need to have something with at least respectable power.
I consider my Monte a highly modified car but my Regal even though I have changed everything on the car it has been with restraint.

By the way Dr. Howard is looking for you, he thinks the straps on the back of your jacket need tightening.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Personally, I think it's a mixture of what the car is, and, why someone bought it.

Some cars are worth preserving stock because of the rarity. Personally, I'd hope to see a car like yours remain in that category due to the number that likely survived in its condition.

Me? I've got a bunch of cars that meet various needs/desires. Family hauler? Bone stock 87 suburban v10 for that. Speed/cornering in a daily driver? S197/s550 mustangs full the role. Various gbodies, mostly stock.

You know a favorite to drive? My 77 c10, 4.1l inline 6, 3spd. It's slow, you don't take almost 5000# and add 100-some odd hp and get there quickly. But I love driving it, and it has enough torque and gearing to get out of its way even if there's no performance side to it. Even with its cosmetic issues, everyone tells me swap a (insert sbc 350, 454, lsx, you name it) in place of the 1bbl inliner.

Reality is, i enjoy driving it how it is, and that's all that matters.

Your car, if you enjoy driving it, that's also all that matters. Let someone else 5spd swap whatever they want to buy.

Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Want to be clear, I have no problems modding and hot rodding cars. I have one myself ( tastefully done ) but I just don't feel it needs to be done on every car. I've seen some of the hack jobs out there too. Yikes. If you're gonna modify something at least do it right...

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
It’s all in a persons own tastes. But value wise. , watch Barrett-Jackson. Restomods anymore go for alot more money. Now if I had a 65 Chevelle SS Z-16 , first SS 396. Only 200 made some with the 425 HP I’d leave it factory stock. The GNX is already the only HIGH valued Gbody. And thats basically due to production timing of it’s power and small number. I don’t think if they only made 5 85 442s in pink that they’d be high value. It comes down to your personal tastes, time, money and abilities.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
“Stock sucks” - 500/600

Reactions: 2 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Its your car. Do what you want with it. Tell them when they buy it from you, they can do what they want with it. Everybody has an opinion, I have one on different types of cars as well. So rather than insult a certain branch of car owner, respectfully keep your opinions to yourself and respect the owners desires.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Want to be clear, I have no problems modding and hot rodding cars. I have one myself ( tastefully done ) but I just don't feel it needs to be done on every car. I've seen some of the hack jobs out there too. Yikes. If you're gonna modify something at least do it right...

Stole my answer. Thanks for saving the typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor