Stock Cat heat shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
59466F49-E904-4B70-B627-31FB04E0D95C.jpeg

Think I painted it with stove paint then just said screw it and took it off.

Reactions: 1 user

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
I'll be able to get a picture for you guys under my car later today. I was told by a FB friend, it depended... some early cars had them and some didn't.
This is odd... Both my 1979 Monte Carlo's had the large "Dutch Oven" style converters as did a 79 Malibu Classic I had years ago. None had a heat shield above the converter. All 3 were 267 V-8 cars built in Oshawa and looking at the Monte Carlo's I see no stand offs for a bolt on shield. Under the passenger side carpet on all 3 cars was a heavy insulated plastic bag of what could have been asbestos for all we know that keep the carpet from burning and helped to trap moisture and rot the front floor pan. Was the shield just a V-6 item or did the shield come into play after the dutch oven converters were replaced?
interesting. I don't exactly know what these dutch oven converters look like, never heard that term before. I am only aware of the Later style Pancake ones. photo as an example. I believe this is what my car had on it. I'll have to look for that insulated bag you're talking about, my original carpet is long gone... and i have never taken the seats out to see what's actually underneath. From what i can find is that some had them some didn't. Like 69hurstolds said, "Parts books don't support 78-79 A-body for heat shields, and that they where used entirely from 1980 and later" so maybe that's the case? I think GM was just doing some experimenting. :unsure:

1665721826025.png

Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I don't exactly know what these dutch oven converters look like, never heard that term before. I am only aware of the Later style Pancake ones. photo as an example. I believe this is what my car had on it.
That is the converter that my 79's had in them. For some reason they were referred to as "Dutch Oven" converters.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That is the converter that my 79's had in them. For some reason they were referred to as "Dutch Oven" converters.
Probably because they'd roast your azz if you touched them with the engine running. :)

Yeah, best I can tell, the heat shields weren't even used on earlier A/G body before 1980. Never say never, but there's no replacement parts out there listed that I can find for below 1980. Anywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Probably because they'd roast your azz if you touched them with the engine running. :)

Yeah, best I can tell, the heat shields weren't even used on earlier A/G body before 1980. Never say never, but there's no replacement parts out there listed that I can find for below 1980. Anywhere.
Gotcha. i haven't done any major in-depth research yet for this. So i don't doubt it that nothing is offered. i have a lead from a guy on Facebook who has and Is taking one off his 1979. So i am waiting to see on that. I will continue to update this thread on my findings.

P.s i took that photo from a website i use for NOS parts. Guy wants $900. But i can't imagine they're are many out there especially seeing how the materials they used... probably aren't anymore.

• Agree

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
That was my thought.
The "insulation bag" that was in the front passenger floor pan under the carpet pad above where the converter would sit. All 3 of my 79 cars had this bag which was a clear plastic about 5 mil (Double construction garbage bag) had what looked like fiberfill quilt batting wrapped around a thin white fiberboard about the thickness of two layers of a cereal box.
My 88 Monte SS does not have the plastic bag but does have a bolt on shield as did my 86 El Camino.

My 87 Regal has both the bolt on shield and the plastic bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor