Stock exhaust manifold vs headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnycheeba3578

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Just a question. I'm thinking of putting headers on my elco. I have a 305 with the 4 speed manual transmission. I've had 2 different guys tell me 2 different things in reference to this. My main mechanic says I should go with headers. My secondary mechanic says keep it stock and run pipes from the manifold back due to not having to mess with header gaskets. I have a set of flowmaster super 44s that will go on. I also want to put a small cam...maybe an rv cam or something. I'm not trying to get any slips...just want it to sound good. Suggestions are definitely welcome

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
I say keep the manifolds if your just looking for sound. You could always do the cam and headers afterwards if it wasnt enough of a change for you.
Straight pipes and super 40's is what I run on my stock 305. Sounds great to me (and as Ive been told) and dont have to mess with header bolts, burnt sparkplug boots, mini starters, etc,,,
A cam and headers wouldnt be a bad idea if you plan on building the motor, but as far as just sound, I would spend the small money first on the exhaust.

sonnycheeba3578

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
I say keep the manifolds if your just looking for sound. You could always do the cam and headers afterwards if it wasnt enough of a change for you.
Straight pipes and super 40's is what I run on my stock 305. Sounds great to me (and as Ive been told) and dont have to mess with header bolts, burnt sparkplug boots, mini starters, etc,,,
A cam and headers wouldnt be a bad idea if you plan on building the motor, but as far as just sound, I would spend the small money first on the exhaust.
Thanks for the insight. The more I think about it...the more I think I'll keep the manifold

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I do agree on exhaust first for a stock 305, but headers, particularly long tube do give more of a true musclecar sound, good to have with a stickshift car.
Header gaskets shouldn't be an issue if you have good ones, decently thick header flanges & bolts. Most of the issues people have with long tube headers is fitment. Hooker super comps were the best ones I've had back before I had an LS1 engine. Of course, headers are easy enough to swap in to an existing exhaust later on.
On cams in a 305, YEARS ago I've had a comp cams, 260 HE series, a 268 HE series & later a crane compucam series to do better with a tpi unit. Something between the 260 to 268 advertised duration or 204/ 214 actual duration would be a nice improvement. I also ported a set of the early 80's HO factory heads, which gave a good improvement, but head swapping on an old 305 is getting into may as well build up a 350 territory..

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Copper flange and collector gaskets with high temp RTV have never failed me. Honestly I've always had a harder time keeping donut gaskets from leaking.

Reactions: 1 user

Jeff k

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2013
Headers heat the engine compartment up... I'm in the street car or race car camp..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the ball and socket collector on my headers. No gasket to blow and they don't leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor