Stock frame ride height

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Lots of info about the ride height at the fender and quarter lips, but I couldnt find info for the frame itself.

Im trying to set this bare frame at stock ride height for some rear geometry measurements while its in here getting some bushing holes fixed, maybe a notch and box.

Taken at the firewall bushing hole, and the bushing hole in front of the frame side of the lower control arm, what is the ride height from the floor to the bottom of the frame channel.

aaannnnd go
frame.jpg

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Shop manual for '86 Cutlass Supreme says ground to frame rail should be 10"

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
How can you get an accurate measurement with all the variables? Age/change of suspension, tire/wheel height.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
With a stock diameter tire/wheel mounted, I would trust that number. I would like to see MC96 install said tire/wheel and confirm it.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
As I recall, the shop manual gives a measurement for points from frame to suspension components. That will dictate the chassis ride height, tire diameter can alter actual ground clearance

These are out of the 1981 Chevrolet service manual

SAM_1871.JPG
SAM_1872.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
With a stock diameter tire/wheel mounted, I would trust that number. I would like to see MC96 install said tire/wheel and confirm it.
I cant confirm anything without the full weight of the vehicle on the suspension, and new suspension components. Front is apart and I just pulled the rear springs to let it sit down.

Within 1/4 is fine, its not a cup car.

Its getting coil overs in the front, and hopefully the front uppers, rear uppers, and rear lowers I make on it. As well as installing a 9"

I just used a cut off wheel on the front springs, gets about 2/3rds of the way through the coil and it breaks with a loud snap, safety 3rd.
One spring was already broken at the last coil and the the other was already broke into 3 pieces before I cut it again.

Every shock was garbage.

Cut out the rotten body bushing holes and replaced them with the Dixie Restoration Depot washers, as they had the best price.

Finish welding the washers in this week and installing the other stuff. Should be back to the guy by Friday. Unless I can convince him to let me notch and box it.

IMG_4400.jpg

Disregard the mess, but peep that dirt cheap LED lighting.

Reactions: 1 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I cant confirm anything without the full weight of the vehicle on the suspension, and new suspension components. Front is apart and I just pulled the rear springs to let it sit down.

Within 1/4 is fine, its not a cup car.

Its getting coil overs in the front, and hopefully the front uppers, rear uppers, and rear lowers I make on it. As well as installing a 9"

I just used a cut off wheel on the front springs, gets about 2/3rds of the way through the coil and it breaks with a loud snap, safety 3rd.
One spring was already broken at the last coil and the the other was already broke into 3 pieces before I cut it again.

Every shock was garbage.

Cut out the rotten body bushing holes and replaced them with the Dixie Restoration Depot washers, as they had the best price.

Finish welding the washers in this week and installing the other stuff. Should be back to the guy by Friday. Unless I can convince him to let me notch and box it.

View attachment 135825

Disregard the mess, but peep that dirt cheap LED lighting.

And yes the gas can was moved before welding.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
10.6"?! Were these things destined to be rock-crawlers from the factory?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor