Stock fuel pump amperage? Can the stock wiring handle 17 amps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
Hey guys I'm trying to figure out if I can use any of the stock wiring to install a new in-tank fuel pump with a pump relay. The pump is a walbro gss340 which could draw up to 17 amps under full load (according to this diagram https://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gss-fuel-pumps). I'm installing the pump to be used with edelbrock pro-fl 4. Edelbrock says I need to install a relay because the pro-flo ecu is only good for 10amps draw on the fuel pump circuit (Pages 4 and 17 https://edelbrock-instructions-v1.s3.amazonaws.com/edelbrock/35760.pdf). I picked up a Summit pump relay kit (PN 890023) to make this work.

I know the wiring is pretty straight forward but the really kit doesn't have enough 12ga wire to reach all the way back to the pump in my El Camino. My instinct is to buy more 12ga and terminals to go from the relay to the pump, but do any of you know if I can use the stock 12V feed for the pump that was in the car (4.3 TBI V6)? If so I could splice the relay wire in to the stock wire in under the dash and not need to run a new wire under the car. The brown/white wire below is what I'd be splicing into. Looks like 14 or 16ga. Pink wire goes to the fuel gauge.

joaMy0DDQcS7mB%hXXJJ9A.jpg

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yup. Gauge up too... your best bet is to feed the pump off the back of the alternator via the relay.

Reactions: 1 users

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
Okay thanks guys. That's what I figured was the right thing to do. The car doesn't have an engine or battery in it right now so I can't really troubleshooting electrical issues. Just trying to get things sorted out before I get the engine in the car.

Another burning question I have though is what I need for my fuel gauge to work. Does it get 12v from the ignition?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Okay thanks guys. That's what I figured was the right thing to do. The car doesn't have an engine or battery in it right now so I can't really troubleshooting electrical issues. Just trying to get things sorted out before I get the engine in the car.

Another burning question I have though is what I need for my fuel gauge to work. Does it get 12v from the ignition?

Your fuel gauge is an ohm reader, 12 volts just turns the gauges on

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor