Stock Gbody steering box, 600 or 700 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
800?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
What steering box comes stock on a gbody? Specifically a mid 80's monte carlo.
Either the 600 or 800 series box.
The 800 series has a 4-bolt top plate...the 600 series has a round snap-on disc on top.

* Excuse me---605 series. I guess my memory isn't quite as sharp as I'd like. Please forgive me...:eek:

Last edited:

DeanHensler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2013
Thanks guys. Another question on ratio. Do you know what the stock ratio is? Like 12:1 would be 12 turns on the steering wheel to 1 turn on the pitman arm (I understand the pitman arm won't do a 360 degree turn).

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Box ratios vary depending on engine and options

Also the box alone does not determine overall steering ratio, the linkage also comes into play

I suggest you download the info packet from https://gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html for the specs on your car as configured

As an example of the variables, in 1980, Malibu steering box ratios vary from 24.0:1 to 13.0:1

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
Are these just like the stock original or is one better than the others? Is the jeep grand Cherokee steering box the better option? Thanks for any advice

DeanHensler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2013

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
How about the box with the Z stamped on it?

The box with a Z is an F body box. I have one in my GP for now until I put the Delphi box back in. I think Jack has one as well and they work good but with the stops you're turning circle will be increased. The Z box will give you a heavier feel and is a quick ratio box.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor