Stock linkage Z-bar modification- SUCCESS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I didn't. I looked like I was going to hit it but by closely following the stock rod I cleared it. The problem is that compound bend at the pedal arm. The SD rod is straight . But by matching the mounting points and keeping the rods ends in the same plane it worked.
So you bent the SD rod or did you bend the pedal and/or z bar

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No, I didn't bend anything. I adjusted the SD rod to fit right.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
First thing is to get a small piece of good steel, perhaps stainless. Cut that to size then drill mounting holes. I will take the Z-bar out as I don't work well in tight spaces anymore. No patience and the body rebels. Then grade 8 fasteners as the force at that point in the linkage is substantial. I think the first hole directly under the end of the Z-bar arm will do as that should be 3/4 to an inch farther down than the stock mount hole. I have to be careful as you want that the arc of lever force should be as close perpendicular to the Z-rod's center line as possible. Hopefully I can get the kind of great geometry my buddy has on his '55 Chevy. But it will take some nice weather to complete this so stay tuned.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Gnvair- did you mount the pedal end of the SD linkage on the port or starboard side of the pedal arm? I ask because I first had it on the port side like the stock rod. I did not like the severe angle that put the ball ends into. I know they are made to tolerate a certain amount of angle but I wanted them as straight as possible. By mounting the end on the starboard side both ball ends were very close to parallel. I also felt that helped clear the brake parts better.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
I played hell with this on mine. I tried the right/star board side and it would hit one if the raised ribs pedal support next to the booster stud. No amount of adjusting would get it away from that. I tried it on the left/port side and it would hit the stud at the bottom of it's travel. I cut the end of the stud off and then it cleared. My joints are not at any extreme angles either. The bottom picture is me pointing to the support rib that the rod was contacting.
IMG_20190316_105701688.jpg
IMG_20190316_105751873_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190316_110152173.jpg

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I see. Wow, mine was not even close to that. I wonder why? I used the pedal hangers from my old Malibu in this Bonneville. You'd think they are all the same, right? My problem on that side was getting the bolt in while so close to the brake switch bracket.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
I see. Wow, mine was not even close to that. I wonder why? I used the pedal hangers from my old Malibu in this Bonneville. You'd think they are all the same, right? My problem on that side was getting the bolt in while so close to the brake switch bracket.
I think the problem with these cars is that the z bar arms are always bent or broken off and when they're welded back on they're not always welded on in the same spot so there might be an issue with your z bar with my z bar. The upper arm is the one that's really critical because if it's over to the port side or over to the starboard side can make a big difference in where that upper push rod ends up.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That may be. I had to run some big washers up along the shaft and weld them to the arms and all around the shaft. My upper arm was about to break off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor