Stock Ride Height - Bump Stops Work Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I was under the chassis poking around and I saw all four bump stops had contacted the frame as seen from the shiny spots. I don't see how lowering the ride height would work unless the bump stops are cut. My SS appears to have the stock ride height.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
ZQ8 bumpstops and 650/700lb front springs. The tops of my 26" tires are above the bottom of the fenders on both my cars and the ride is excellent with no crashing or bottoming.

The ZQ8 bumpstops (from Xtreme S10's) are microcell foam and are designed to contact and compress smoothly. 1/4" gap between bumpstop and frame is fine. Zq8 bumpstops are GM 15956547, Dorman 31064.

When I see "lowered" cars with 3" of gap above the tire, I can't help but think "that is 2.5" higher than my TType was when it was new." (86 turbo buicks were known for looking lowered from the factory)

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have 660 lbs springs with Bilstein AK shocks, car is lowered 2" by cut springs and another 1/2" with tall lower screw in ball joints and it never bottoms out. In the rear I have 175 lbs springs cut lowering the car to even out the frame height with the front, Bilstein AK shocks and it never bottoms in the rear

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I would say your springs have settled and the shocks worn out for the bump stops to be contacting the frame. Typically if you lower the car you will also stiffen the springs and related shocks ( so as not to allow as much compression on the suspension )

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Judging from the shock mounting bolts, they are a recent addition. Have to look closely at the shocks to determine if they're correct. Next time I'm parked on level ground I plan to measure the ground clearance at the frame reference points for ride height.(285mm). Roughly there is 1.5" clearance at the top of the bump stop to the frame.(hard to tell because car was not level)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when we raced metrics ( G body) on the oval track we could not have the car sit any lower than a 6" ride height. The right front lower control arm would sit on the frame in a corner and we were running a 900 lbs spring in the right front. There isn't much room for suspension compression on these cars when you lower them

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor