Stock SBC 3998993 heads to Vortec heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veltboy618

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2008
I have a SBC 350 in my cutlass with manifolds on it. Its bored .030 over but IDK what cam I have in it because I haven't had a chance to open the motor all the way up yet. I want to know how about much horsepower will a set of vortec heads add over the stock 3998993 heads with adding headers.

Veltboy618

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2008
I don't know a lot about engines so if someone could lead me in the right direction on what i should do here I would really appreciate it.

Oh yeah the motor has a Edelbrock 650 on it now & the engine has flat top pistons if that helps

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
I believe the vortec heads will raise compression a little. How much I am not sure. I really son't know much about the vortec's. I do know that as far as the older version of SBC heads go 993's are pretty decent for the open combustion chamber (76 CC) size. Mill say .020-.030 off the 993's and it will raise your compression some.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
well vortecs will raise your compression about 1.2 points over what it is now. AND YES YOU WILL GAIN POWER the 993 head is exactly like the 882 head. shitty. Now with flattops and vortecs you should be at 10.1ish and still run 89 octane. Thats what I run in my 10.1 vortec 355. Find a good cam and you'll have about 380-390 hp. I'm not sure what direction you want to go in so I can't help you any.

Veltboy618

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2008
Since the heads on my motor now are that bad I'm going to go ahead and swap to the vortec heads. Which of the vortec heads are the best & what's a good street cam for the vortec heads & my 010 block. It came out if a 80 C-10 and I plan on adding headers, 2.5" dual exhaust with H-pipe. As far as the direction I want to go with the car, I just want a nice street car with some good hp & get up & go incase someone pull on side of me

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
both heads either 062 or 906 from the factory work good but the ones that you get from the supplier like 060 are the same exact head. The only thing needed for all vortecs is the spring modification, I just used the beehive springs and retainers. I used the xe268 but voodoo cams are good too. Look into scogen dickey for the heads. They are already upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor