stock shifter handle operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
i have a stock shifter handle to put in my car because i dont have the original one in there now but can someone kinda tell me how this goes .. and inside the handle is there suppose to be a spring in there?i'm missing the spring if so.... and i'm just not sure how it operates you push the side button how would that push down to put it in gear?

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
If the spring is gone then I don't know how to fix that. In mine (Monte SS) there is a little plastic piece, which looks like a pearl necklace, it bends around the corner from the button down the shaft. It takes the lateral movement and transfers it into a vertical movement.

Probably a lot easier to find another- Ebay? Junkyard?

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
ahh really damn that sucks... yea the inside of mine is empty so i just wasnt sure what i'm missing

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Cutty1 said:
ahh really damn that sucks... yea the inside of mine is empty so i just wasnt sure what i'm missing
Yep, there's a spring that goes on the inside. Most of them on eBay don't have it or the chrome pieces. Good luck finding one in a junkyard, seems the handle is always missing. Come to think of it, there was a handle for sale on here bout a month ago, do a quick search. Keep in mind the regal and cutlass use the same one.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
ok i actually took it apart and there is everything in there just spring alittle wore out, but i'm mising this piece whats a j rod? and not sure where it goes can someone post pic?? is this for the automatic?

Oldsmobile J rod Shifter Spring

The J-rod shifter spring goes underneath the J rod & allows it to stay in the up position. When you push the button on your shifter the slider button pushes down on the J-rod to allow it to go thru the detent bracket notches. The spring pushes the J-rod back up to lock you into a desired gear postion.

If you do not have to push the button in on your shifter & the shifter does not lock into position this is most likely the culprit. They have a tendancy snap in half over the years or simply fly off the chrome shifter.

*free shipping USPS when ordered by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor