stock tach w/ LS engine question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malihoochie-

Apprentice
May 14, 2020
Detroit area
I looked thru various posts, but am unsure about this, what cyl setting is the factory tach supposed to be set on when hooking it to the wire from the computer? If it matters, it is a painless wiring harness being used. I saw that some say to set it in the tune, but is there a "right" way to do it initially, so it reads semi correct from the start?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Yeah there's a setting for tach output in the tune.

Do you have a stock gm pcm with hptuners?

Malihoochie-

Apprentice
May 14, 2020
Detroit area
Stock gm pcm with only a bare bones tune from painless wiring that as far as I know only got rid of the vats and altered the idle a smidge....and possibly set electric fans to come on at ...🤔...185°, or something.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
This is what I have on my 99-02 P01 pcm with factory harness I cut down. I think stock is 6, you need to change it to 3. The location in the tune might be different depending on the year, but thats what you need. Mine is feeding a 86 GP with the rally dash.

1589675663954.png

Reactions: 1 users

Malihoochie-

Apprentice
May 14, 2020
Detroit area
So, with the factory rally tach in the dash, what should I have the tach (the actual, physical tach in the dash) set at?
You know, the little plug thing in the back of it. What cylinder setting should that be set on? And thank you for taking the time to answer.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Oh, yeah the 8 setting is what you want.

You could probably make it work with the 6 setting and fix it in the tune.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor