Strange noise......what is it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Car sounds like crap. Not sure what the sound is or coming from, maybe the trans? Anyone have an idea what the sound Is?

Skippy

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2019
BC Canada
I had a very similar noise that after a few beer and pulling the rest of my hair out i found that the tab on the trans dipstick broke and the tube was tapping on the firewall. Sound resonated and seemed like it was coming from rear of the trans area.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Possibly a header just tapping the frame. I would start by checking for any loose bolts or tin shields.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Only at idle?
Does it change with engine speed?
It's shaking pretty good there, sounds like a Farmall tractor, or my old Willys......
Engine mounts good?
Seems I remember you were "exercising" it after the carb swap...
How tight did you wind it up?

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Only at idle?
It's shaking pretty good there, sounds like a Farmall tractor, or my old Willys......
Engine mounts good?
It's more noticeable at idle. Motor mounts are both broke, need to have 1 solid and 1 rubber with tie downs.... They didn't last 2 months. It drove fine for a while without issues. I was doing about 20mph and put the pedal down til it almost hit 5k rpm and let off. And when I parked it to adjust the idle that's when I noticed the sound. Wasn't quit sure what it was...figured I would start a thread...ive never had a damaged motor (besides a tick) or damaged transmission. So I don't know what the sounds mean. Some other people suggested that the oil pump in the trans is failing. But have no idea.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Only at idle?
Engine mounts good?
What do you mean by "how right did I wind it up?"

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Possibly a header just tapping the frame. I would start by checking for any loose bolts or tin shields.
Thats a possibility. If both were already broke, maybe I shifted the motor a tad when I put the pedal down. When I listen from the top of the motor, noise seems to be from the passenger side and below the firewall area....but when I was under the car where the headers don't leak so much, it sounds like the trans....

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Some other people suggested that the oil pump in the trans is failing. But have no idea.
Easy way to test is to unbolt the torque convertor and slide it back towards the pump.

Reactions: 1 user

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor