Strange reaction of digital gauges on 1983 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Hello,
I have a 1983 Monte Carlo that I recently inherited. The previous owner had installed a set of digital gauges in a cluster where the ashtray would have been from the factory. There is an oil pressure, water temperature, and volt gauge. I recently noticed that when I turn on the blower fan, press the brake pedal, turn the radio on, or do ANYTHNG that causes the use of electricity, the water temp shows a jump of as much as 15 degrees immediately and stays there. As soon as I shut off the fan, or stop doing whatever I'm doing that spikes the gauge, it immediately returns to "normal." The oil pressure gauge will spike 4 lbs, but then returns to "Normal". I have isolated the Temp gauge 12 volt power away from the other two gauges, and even isolated the ground. I also cleaned both ends of the grounding cable from the battery to the alt bracket and even cleaned the positive battery cable. Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this? It does not matter if the engine is running or not, the reaction is the same.

Thanks,
Russ

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Anubis,
I'm still betting on it being a grounding/electrical issue, but having trouble nailing it down. I was going through the paperwork I got with the car and found the paperwork for the gauges. They are Summit gauges. Part numbers SUM-G2984, SUM-G2983 & SUM-G2985. The power for the gauges comes from an ignition switched power in the fuse block. According to the installation instructions, that is how it is suppossed to be wired. I cleaned up the main gound cable between the battery and the alt bracket and I just cleaned the smaller strap that goes from the firewall to the back of the drivers side head. I didn't take that strap loose from the firewall as it still has the factory "coating" on it and didn't look like it was ever disturbed. I did take it loose from the head and cleaned the bolt, star washer and the cable. It still jumps the temp by 5 -7 deg when I turn the heater fan on and it jumps 5psi on the oil until I shut the fan off.

Thanks,
Russ

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
I contacted Summit, and they suggested testing the battery and alternator. I had the ALternator/battery tested at O'Reilly's. The Alt tested fine, but they said the battery was toast. The battery is an Interstate, so I went to the Interstate store for a second opinion and to see about a replacement. They did a load test which indicated the battery weak. When the tech pulled some fluid, it showed that the battery just needed a charge. Which makes sense as the car has been sitting a lot the last 2 years. So, I trickle charged the battery for 16 hours. Results..... NO CHANGE. I'm really not liking these gauges.

Thoughts???

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor