Strange sound and smell of gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Yesterday was fairly warm here and I noticed a strange sound Coming from my 81 Elky followed by the smell of gasoline. Fairly sure this was caused by fuel coming under pressure in the tank as it heated up during the day. Any ideas on how to fix this?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Yesterday was fairly warm here and I noticed a strange sound Coming from my 81 Elky followed by the smell of gasoline. Fairly sure this was caused by fuel coming under pressure in the tank as it heated up during the day. Any ideas on how to fix this?
How's the tank vent/charcoal canister/lines, etc?

I've seen people plug them with golf tees and hose clamps to eliminate a gas smell from a damaged system and screw up the venting in the process

Reactions: 1 user

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
How's the tank vent/charcoal canister/lines, etc?

I've seen people plug them with golf tees and hose clamps to eliminate a gas smell from a damaged system and screw up the venting in the process
Unfortunately it no longer has one. Someone did a real number on this car mechanically before I bought it.

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
The One on my 78 went. All the pellets get sucked up in the carb. Nice. Just after I had it rebuilt. So I put one on fir a GN. It was the replacement part. Works great. No smell
I heard guys putting a riding lawnmower gas filter on the purge line so if it let’s go the filter traps all the pellets.

Reactions: 1 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
The One on my 78 went. All the pellets get sucked up in the carb. Nice. Just after I had it rebuilt. So I put one on fir a GN. It was the replacement part. Works great. No smell
I heard guys putting a riding lawnmower gas filter on the purge line so if it let’s go the filter traps all the pellets.
I need to find something. Dropped the tank yesterday and found what looked like a 3rd metal that used to run back to the tank.

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
When my mechanic put the new canister on, f body’s, have rubber lines in 3 places on the metal fuel and return lines, we replaced them, about a qt if water came out of the return line, I replace the gas cap too then, wrong cap? Canister wasn’t hooked up rite? Not sure.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I agree, no reason to eliminate the charcoal setup. I know as a kid, it was emissions and not performance so it went. But now being older and grumpy, there is no reason a fast car can't have one. Years of racing taught me things that actually did make power and other stuff was just magazine stuff and stupid. And I won't deny I had to learn A LOT the hard way.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
When my mechanic put the new canister on, f body’s, have rubber lines in 3 places on the metal fuel and return lines, we replaced them, about a qt if water came out of the return line, I replace the gas cap too then, wrong cap? Canister wasn’t hooked up rite? Not sure.
unfortunately none of those parts are still on my car

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Unfortunately it no longer has one. Someone did a real number on this car mechanically before I bought it.
It's not that hard to add it back. You buy a canister filter, run the hose routing according to the pictures on an emissions label from your year/make/model, and get pieces of rubber line to plug it together.

I need to find something. Dropped the tank yesterday and found what looked like a 3rd metal that used to run back to the tank.

So does the fuel line still connect to a three line sending unit, or, did they swap it to a two line sending unit and just leave the old line running down the body/frame rail?

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
Swap meet. Look up your part #. It’s usually on the top of the canister.
nOS ones are getting pricy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor