Strange sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
My el camino has recently started making a strange sound. I have included a video of the sound for reference. It happens just every once in a while, so it's not a consistent sound. It doesn't seem to happen at any specific speed because it's happened at multiple speeds from 35-75. I was just wondering if anyone knows this sound before I start dissecting the whole engine.

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
Torque converter bolts getting loose?, video is really short
I'll check that. The video is short because i cropped it to just a few seconds before and after the sound happened. The sound is really short when it happens.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Does it ever do it idling? Revving it a little in park etc?
You can put it on ramps and take the inspection cover off the trans (if you have one) check if the torque convertor bolts are all tight and then start it up and watch for any wobble in the flexplate (possible crack) and also for starter gear possibly hitting.
To be honest from your video I can't even tell if that is for sure an engine noise.

Reactions: 1 user

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
Does it ever do it idling? Revving it a little in park etc?
You can put it on ramps and take the inspection cover off the trans (if you have one) check if the torque convertor bolts are all tight and then start it up and watch for any wobble in the flexplate (possible crack) and also for starter gear possibly hitting.
To be honest from your video I can't even tell if that is for sure an engine noise.
it's never done it while idling or revving it. I will check the torque converter. Sorry about the video, it's hard to get it on camera since it barely happens and when it does it's only for about a second.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
it's never done it while idling or revving it. I will check the torque converter. Sorry about the video, it's hard to get it on camera since it barely happens and when it does it's only for about a second
Does anything feel different at the moment it makes the noise while driving?
Does it do it at steady speeds or accelerating or both?

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Hard to tell what that sound is on the video to be honest. I know the center rear hood "bumper" or "adjuster" can make some funny noises when it's dry and the hood pushes it around while driving.

It's a stab in the dark, but maybe lube that and drive again.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
sounds like a piece of sheet metal hitting something, like air flow pushing it into something, its odd ill give you that,

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
Does anything feel different at the moment it makes the noise while driving?
Does it do it at steady speeds or accelerating or both?
Nothing feels different when it happens and it has only happened at steady speeds.

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Sounds like the rear hood adjuster to me...take it down a couple of threads and put some white lithium grease on it...oldsofb called it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor