Strange surging issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackonblack

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2017
I'm looking for help on a strange issue that we've been trying to stop for quite some time.

83 Hurst Olds, original drivetrain, no rebuilds, 42k miles.

Brought it in to have a number of things fixed, to include valve cover gaskets, a leaking transmission, TCC solenoid, and a peculiar surging issue.

The mechanic buttoned it up and I drove it home, but I found the surge was still there. When just holding the speed at 30, 40 or 50 there is a surge/ inconsistent engine feel. It's always within the 1000-1500 RPM range. You don't have to be driving, it'll do it when parked as well.

I brought it back and he had me test drive it with him to demonstrate. I left it there and he has been trouble shooting ever since.

I had already replaced the O2 sensor and MAP sensor. He pulled the vacuum off the MAP sensor and saw fuel in the line. He traced back to the carb.

The carb had been replaced, and he pulled it off to check it out. What he found was that the base plate was bent, and under certain circumstances was sucking fuel into the vacuum system. I was able to find an original 83 HO carb to replace this and be back to the numbers matching carb on the car, which was a bonus. Mechanic rebuilt the 83 Carb. Still no joy, the surge issue was still there.

Car was running excessively rich, and he figured it could be the ECM. Replaced that, no joy. He is going to replace the O2 sensor next but is running out of ideas.

What else could cause this?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Running rich could be cannister purge valve. Follow vent hose off top of carb, to a valve size of golf ball, pull hoses off and see if wet with gas.
Surge I would disconnect EGR valve to see if it goes away

Reactions: 1 user

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Check for a plugged catalytic converter. Running rich could have cooked it.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Check for a plugged catalytic converter. Running rich could have cooked it.

I respectively disagree 79 USA 1 that this being his problem, while a rich condition can indeed create converter issues if it was plugged you would have a low power situation and the car would not be able to reach highway speeds. Most of the converter issues back in the day were caused by a design flaw

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
After the mechanic rebuilt the carb did he adjust MCS and TPS ?

blackonblack

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2017
Running rich could be cannister purge valve. Follow vent hose off top of carb, to a valve size of golf ball, pull hoses off and see if wet with gas.
Surge I would disconnect EGR valve to see if it goes away
After the mechanic rebuilt the carb did he adjust MCS and TPS ?

Thanks for the responses. Keeps flashing a code 13

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you replace the O2 sensor do it with a GM/ACDelco one. Don't use Bosch or any of that other crap. The new GM part I think isn't a good choice. But admittedly, I have no experience with them. Check the connector and wiring to make sure it's not touching exhaust components.

AFS-16P (p/n 8990741) which was superseded by AFS-20 (p/n ). Those are your best bets should you need one. I've never had an issue with the old-school Delco sensors.

Here's a cheap brand new Delco AFS-20 for 15 bucks.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=163605240909

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I got a feeling that the carb needs some better tuning the more I think about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor