Strange Ticking

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicknewbie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2011
I recently bought a 1983 cutlass supreme sedan (Pics soon!). Well 2 owners ago the v6 was running on 4 cylinders and a rod knocking, So they replaced it at 100000 with a 1972 olds 350. It ran great for about 30000 miles then it started ticking the owner at the time FREAKED out thought the engine was done for and didn't drive it for like 6 months and said he was going to scrap a clean car so i offered him 400 and he took it. The ticking at idle it sounds like a rod knocking but put your pinky toe on the gas and its gone until you get up around 5-6 grand and it comes back but a lot quieter any ideas?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it sounds like a lifter that's leaking and when you built up the pressure reving the engine the lifter holds enough pressure to stop the ticking

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
I had a 73 olds Omega with a 350 that did the same thing. I changed the oil and it went away, and they after about 3K miles it would come back again. I used it as my oil change indicator ... who needs a sticker on your window when your engine knows best -- LOL

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Sometimes rod knocks go away when oil pressure is up until you get to a certain point, like high rpm. Do you have an oil pressure gauge? If so what is your oil pressure at idle, half throttle and full throttle. All while the engine is up to temp would be preferable.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Is it a tick or knock? Big difference. How is the oil pressure?

nicknewbie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2011
I have no idea what the oil pressure is, the engine is coming out next weekend and I'm going to rebuild it and ill check the rods and everything then.

78PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2009
Queens,Ny
If its a "ticking" noise check the pushrod in the fuelpump that can sometimes lead to it.

nicknewbie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2011
Forgot about this thread, it turns out the "ticking" was actually the front two spun rod bearings and the #5 intake lifter exploded... thing still did highways speeds and ran like a goddamn tank! Olds power is nothing to reckon with!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor