Strengthening Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I am planning on swapping a manual transmission into a 84-88 Monte Carlo SS and have read that the firewall isn't strong enough to support a hydraulic clutch conversion. How did everyone overcome that? Looking to get ideas and solutions before I go ahead and dive into this.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I did a hydraulic clutch in my Cutty. Didn't know about firewall strength issue and I probably didn't put enough miles on it to find out the hard way, but I didn't notice any deformation when I pulled the master out. I would imagine you could just cut out a piece of 1/8 steel the same shape as the mounting flange for the master cylinder but bigger to distribute the force on a wider area.

Edit: This looks like a way better way

PedalKit.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I am planning on swapping a manual transmission into a 84-88 Monte Carlo SS and have read that the firewall isn't strong enough to support a hydraulic clutch conversion. How did everyone overcome that? Looking to get ideas and solutions before I go ahead and dive into this.

Although mine is a mechanical clutch linkage I did have an issue with firewall strength,but mine was caused from being to hard on the gas pedal and cracked the firewall.
I made 2 patches,one for the inside and one for the outside,and bolted and spot welded them on.Heres a couple of pictures.
Guy
DSC_0346 (2016_04_18 13_36_38 UTC).JPG
DSC_0348 (2016_04_18 13_36_38 UTC).JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor