Stripping Holley valve covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Before I start buying a bunch of random chemicals I figured I'd get some real world advice. I have a few sets of these valve covers and they appear to have something similar to crinkle paint or undercoating on them. I tried hitting them with 70 grit aluminum oxide since that's what's in my blast cabinet and it didn't put a scratch in them. Is there a better non-silicone based abrasive to use or will some chemicals be in order? I'm looking for the fastest way to get them stripped.

holleyvalvecovers.jpg

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Re: Stripping Holley valve covers...need suggestions.

I went thru the same nightmare with my L98 covers... They could be anodized, in which case it'd be a b*tch to blast them. I'm gonna give mine another go this summer with aircraft stripper. Using ordinary stripper, I went thru 8 coats before I gave up, and it barely got thru the first few layers.
I've heard good things about the Aircraft stuff... but I get a feeling I'll be lathering the covers with a nice chunk of it before it starts ripping the paint/coating off.

Dec 20, 2010

if they are anodized oven cleaner or drain cleaner will take it off

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada

dave4552008 said:
if they are anodized oven cleaner or drain cleaner will take it off
thanks for the tip... I didn't know that! I'll give it a try

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

They're probably a baked on finish or powder coated, in which case could be a hassle to strip. If the bead blaster didn't take it off.. I don't know. If you have a similar valve cover in not-so great shape to experiment with, go for it with either aircraft stripper or oven cleaner as suggested. The oven cleaner could be corrosive.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010

I'll try the aircraft stuff and see what happens. I'm not a fan of the oven cleaner. I tried it before and it doesn't work very fast. Besides that it's an aerosol and you have to be careful using it.

okndnx

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2011

any updates on the paint stripper yet just wondering I have the same project ready to go

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010

okndnx said:
any updates on the paint stripper yet just wondering I have the same project ready to go

I might try to get started on it Thursday if I have time.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010

Finally got around to giving these valve covers a go. I picked up a can of the aircraft stripper and some bondo spreaders from Advance Auto, along with some Saran wrap from the grocery store along the way. I was actually pretty impressed with it. I used oven cleaner on a different set of covers last year and the results weren't even near what the aircraft stripper achieved.

As you can see, attempting to soda blast them did next to nothing.
Holleyvalvecovers002.jpg

I got a piece of cardboard to set them on, doused them thoroughly and wrapped them in the Saran wrap to keep the stripper from evaporating too fast. This was the first application and about 20 mins of waiting
Holleyvalvecovers001.jpg

After two more applications with some waiting and scraping in between, this is what I have. Wrapping them in plastic allows the stripper to work a little longer.....I suppose anyway. Besides just using the small Bondo spreader to scrape with, I also had a cheap plastic trim popper that I used for the small areas. I used a stiff nylon brush to get between the fins. The reasoning for using plastic scrapers is to avoid gouging the aluminum surface. I would not suggest any wire or brass brushes either.
Holleyvalvecovers003.jpg

A preview of what's going to happen to these covers (polished!)
Holleyvalvecovers005.jpg

And most importantly, use PPE if you decide to do this. It's caustic stuff and you don't want it on your skin, in your eyes or lungs either.
Holleyvalvecovers004.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor