stuck gas gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbos15

n00b
Sep 28, 2022
Hello,

I have a 1984 Pontiac Bonneville. My fuel gauge is stuck at 1/4. The ground at the body was corroded. I decided to pull the tank and inspect. The top was rusted. the lines were leaking from the sending unit. Tested the sending unit and couldn't get an accurate reading. So I put a new sending unit and tank. Gauge was at E before adding fuel. I put in about 13 gallons of gas and the gauge went up to 1/4 again. What should my next plan of attack be?

Thanks

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
Check grounds and pink wire to the gauge cluster. Then the cluster connections it self.
that sucks, I have the same problem on my cutlass. I have a new tank and sending unit. ground seems good. i was having the same issue before i made the changes. when I removed the old sending unit the element was black and charred.
the gauge will work one minute, an then the next its on full and then back to were I thank it should be

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
It's nice to see a new member, first post, that has actually tried to fix their vehicle before asking questions. Especially when they've taken the correct first steps.

I'm betting on bad gauge, as a bad ground or broken wire should make this thing read passed full.

Reactions: 1 user

kbos15

n00b
Sep 28, 2022
Ok so I did go out and find a new gas gauge. As soon as i put it in the needle moved up to where it should be. Thanks for the help

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor