Stuffening frame help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Lumpkin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2016
Okay so I have a 83 frame that I want to build a track car off of so I need as much advice on stiffening it as much as possible.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
box fhe c channels, upgrade the factory welds, reinforce the suspension points and tie the rear rails together

Ryan Lumpkin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2016
Is that something I could do in a back yard shop, or is it something worth handing over to the professionals? I know my way around a welder and all just never have tackled a job like this before

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you can do it yourself, just tack weld a few bars across the C channels so the frame won't tweak when boxing the C channels. I found it best to stick weld the frames cause of the dirt even after trying to clean it. I never tried sand blasting the frame so that may work to clean it if you are planning to mig weld it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
another thing, when boxing the C channels make sure you leave access to the body bushings in the center of the C channels, If you are wondering what effect boxing has lift a rear rail before you box it to see how far it moves without having much of an effect on the rest of the frame, then lift it after you have boxed the C channels.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you add bracing anywhere make sure you stitch weld them so you don't put too much heat in one area and you can go back later and finish weld them.
There are plenty of add on braces that are available online pre-fabed or you can make them yourself.
You should also consider notching the rear frame for added tire clearance while you have easy access.
Also if you do any cross bracing from side to side look at the body and make sure there won't be any interference with things that hang down like the tire well etc.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ryan Lumpkin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2016
I hope I can get some fat tires on it. I'm going for a real planted feel any idea on how big I can go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor