Stumped! 88 cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel84elco

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2014
So my car is all stock I just rebuilt the alternator got it tested today works fine. Just put in a new battery. Car doesn't shut off or anything but when I run the ac and lights all the other acc. The battery light goes on pretty dim but it bugs me seeing it lol any ideas?? Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What amp rating is your current alternator? Aftermarket stereo? It just may not have enough output at 700 rpm in drive.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

somaphox

Apprentice
Jan 16, 2015
upgrade to a cs144,easy to do and much more amps though if you have a volt meter in the car instead of a dummy light you'll need a resistor on the brown wire or just get the harness adapter from napa i forget the part number off hand someone on here might know it.one difference between the two to take into account though i suppose the cs style charges when your driving unlike the si that charges mostly at idle i believe i remember reading when i was upgrading so if you have a weak battery or corrosion issues this might actually hurt rather than help...

Reactions: 1 user

angel84elco

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2014
What amp rating is your current alternator? Aftermarket stereo? It just may not have enough output at 700 rpm in drive.

I have a sound system. I believe they bumped it to 75 amps. What's crazy to me though is on every other gbody I had no problems with this. I did see some corrosion on the wires that connect to the battery yesterday just stuck at work right now which sucks.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Also check your belts, make sure they are all tight and not slipping.

• Agree

angel84elco

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2014
So I think Ima have the alternator rebuilt again to be on the safe side since I have warranty on it. See how that goes

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
All above info good. I suspect a bad diode trio in the alternator. You have to use a diode checker in a good volt meter to test as it puts a load on the diode. Testing ok tells me that rectifier and other stuff good but not a sure test for the diode trio

angel84elco

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2014
All above info good. I suspect a bad diode trio in the alternator. You have to use a diode checker in a good volt meter to test as it puts a load on the diode. Testing ok tells me that rectifier and other stuff good but not a sure test for the diode trio

Agree with you cause yesterday I cleaned everything off and then I I just put a new battery and since I rebuilt my old one I figure something went wrong on the alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor