Stupid A/C and heat questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascates

Apprentice
Jun 11, 2011
Boiling Springs, NC
I'm still way behind in my cutlass build and I still have a lot of questions and I thought I could get a few out of the way.

I was wondering how many of you are have A/C and how many do not?
If I delete my A/C will I still have heat?
Is there any power gains by not running a A/C compressor?
I notice some people have removed the A/C\heater box from the engine bay and have installed a plate that really dresses up everything under the hood. Can anybody give me any info on that?

The reason I'm asking all these questions is because I removed the whole dash from my interior and damaged the vents and brackets in the process, and I'm worried how my Heat and A/C will work now. Any advice would be great.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
My car originally came with a/c, but I got rid of it all and put the delete plate on......I wish I would have found a non a/c heater setup cuz when the windows fog up I'm screwed...I don't really drive it when it's cold but it's a missed feature. You can delete your a/c compressor and still have your heat. ...Or you could also check this out here : http://acdelete.com/pages/78-88_G-Body.htm

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
I'm keeping the A/C.
I see no reason to be uncomfortable all summer long...and mine's not a race car.

Running the A/C will cost you some power; A/C compressors typically require between 5 and 15 HP to operate.

IIRC, you have to modify or remove the OEM A/C housing if you are doing an LS conversion.
You can keep the OEM housing for other "traditional" GM engine installation (Olds, Pontiac, pre-LS SBC).

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Im keeping a/c and heat. When the a/c is not running, do you really think its gonna cause any noticeable power loss?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I don't think they take any power when the a/c is off. You may lose a few pounds by removing it, that's about it. If it works, I say keep it. Also, I believe there is a WOT switch that cuts the compressor.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
i am in a toss up on what to do with my AC/heater box.
i am either going to take it completely out and put in a block off plate i already have for it
or
i am going to delete juct the ac part of it and use one of those conversion boxes and keep just the heat

I need to to something because my old existing box is very busted up and i cant keep a stock box with the tall valve covers i have on the big block

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor