Stupid quick question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
I think I already know the answer but I just want to make sure to put my mind at ease lol...

Will the steering box from a 1979 Firebird fit my '79 LeMans? I know the bolt patterns will be the same but I'm worried about my pitman arm fitting. Also, would I be correct in assuming that because it's a Firebird it would be close ratio? Note that it's from a Firebird not a Trans Am.

Thanks.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a Firebird box on my 83' Bonnewagon. It will fit perfect if they are the same series. By that I mean the 800 series with the 4 bolt cover. The snap ring cover type is the 600 series and the pitman arm shaft is smaller, same as a manual box. No guarantee on the ratio, it's probably not performance.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Hey Wildmani, i`m not sure if a 2nd gen f-body will fit but a 3rd gen f-body box will. My buddy installed on from a 87 t/a on his 81 malibu with no problems.
Dean

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Dean. Bonnewagon, My stock one has the snap ring type. I didn't know there was a difference until I bought one that is the 4 bolt type and then found out my pitman wouldn't fit. So now I need to find a new one. What pitman arm did you use with your 4 bolt type?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I found a Regal in the junkyard with the correct pitman arm and it was nicely exposed because the front clip was removed. However I needed a pitman arm puller and a BFH to get it off, much cursing and sweating. It would have been easier to grab the whole steering box but my Firebird unit was a mint rebuilt and I wanted to use it. The yard guy laughed at me and said $5. The reason you cannot buy a new one is because it's not a "wear" item, unlike the 60's arms with the ball joint in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor