Subframe Graft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObsidianScareCrow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2017
I have a 2000 camaro SS and a 1981 el Camino
Would it be easier and cheaper to graftthe front subframe engine and all with slight modifications to the gbody and reinforce the frame or build a new frame and mount the engine to it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
It would be way easier/cheaper to just use the frame that came in the '81 El camino with the proper mounts.

The front suspension of a '99 camaro isn't any better than a properly modded G-body and the brakes (or larger 13" C5 Corvette brakes) will swap over with junkyard parts and some cheap brackets.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
graph = graft
Hey, maybe you're onto something that the G Body people here completely overlooked. Horticulturists, over many years of trail and error, have been grafting branches from different species to create a hardier, improved plant.
If you have the parts then do it and please be sure to post pics of your progress. We love project pics.
Oh, and BTW, welcome to the forum.

ObsidianScareCrow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2017
graph = graft
Hey, maybe you're onto something that the G Body people here completely overlooked. Horticulturists, over many years of trail and error, have been grafting branches from different species to create a hardier, improved plant.
If you have the parts then do it and please be sure to post pics of your progress. We love project pics.
Oh, and BTW, welcome to the forum.

Please explain this "trail and error" was this the trail least taken?

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The F-body suspension mounts to the unit body. That isn't going to work of a G-body. The G-body body can't support the loads and you'd have to tie the F-body front end to the G-body frame AND the body... that likely won't end well.

Even if you were wanting to graft F-body sheet metal onto the front of the el camino, it is probably easier to make mounts to attach just the sheet metal (errr, plastic?) to the G-body frame/body than to attach the whole, complete front end to the G-body frame.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Would it be easier and cheaper to graftthe front subframe engine and all with slight modifications to the gbody
With the aftermarket support already in place for Gbody suspension, brakes and everything in between I don't see how attempting this would be easier or cheaper in the long run and the El Camino which already comes with a full frame and an engine bay that will consume a big block it would take well beyond "slight modifications" and in the end I think you end up with a just another Gbody that will need a new frame. IMO

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ObsidianScareCrow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2017
So either way it's probably better to build another frame and body swap it sense I'll be replacing everything under the sheet metal anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor