Subs 80' Saga Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL
Hadnt planned on staring a build thread but the 4.4 popped a freeze plug. So here we go..

My first real question is how to place the car on jack stands for trans removal. I can see some beefy spots on the frame, but if any on can give me an idea or any tricks of the G trade, Id appreciate it..

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I usually just put the stands under the frame behind the front wheel well. They would kinda be in the way for trans removal so you could put them under the front frame horns (if you have a big set that go high) behind the front bumper mounts. Ramps sitting on some stout wood cribbing (4x6) works well too.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Whatever you do don't mickey mouse around with it. Make sure it is solid as a rock before you start working on it and dont work under it with it just on the jack. It's not worth dying or being maimed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL
I usually just put the stands under the frame behind the front wheel well. They would kinda be in the way for trans removal so you could put them under the front frame horns (if you have a big set that go high) behind the front bumper mounts. Ramps sitting on some stout wood cribbing (4x6) works well too.

I have it up on ramps. the main problem i have is my trans jack is more for a 4x4 its not low profile by any means. I only need maybe three inches to clear the highest point on the T-jack. it'll be tricky but safely do-able. I thought about getting a lower profile jack.
But the General G needs a Distributor for the fresh 10/20 4 bolt built to LT1 standards, I'll have my hands on it saturday!!!! I dont mean to boast but i have to tell someone one! thanks

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
As texas82gp said, make sure it's super solid! My dad being 40 year + veteran mechanic always taught my brother and i to set a car on stands and rock the piss outta it to make sure it won't fall!

Sadly, ramps are how my brother n laws dad died several years back. Had his 68 pro street camaro on ramps and the rear haphazardly lifted to adjust coilovers without the wheels being chocked. He pulled to hard or something and off the ramps it went crushing him in the process!

Just be safe man! I use 6 ton jack stands which allow me to get my cutlass high enough and still safe to pull my trans.
Scott.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you are pulling the engine make it easy on yourself and pull it with transmission attached.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
LOL I have done a few driveway trans swaps in my day. Lots of cardboard to soak up all the trans fluid. We only did one that I can recall with both the front and the rear of the car raised. It made it too hard to reach everything. Drain the fluid. 18" of rubber fuel line to cap the lines to the rad. Driveshaft stub to seal the back of the trans. Pull the distributor so it doesn't crush the cap against the firewall. Maybe even pull the top of the fan shroud.

No room ( or money ) for a proper trans jack which wouldn't fit anyways ? Tack some sheet metal ( like a street sign ) to the cup of the jack and a couple ratchet straps around the trans to hold it to the floor jack when you roll it in place. Get the back of the car as high as you can on truck stands and block both front wheels on both sides to keep it from rolling on you. Just need the car high enough to slip the trans out the back in front of the rear wheels

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
LOL I have done a few driveway trans swaps in my day. Lots of cardboard to soak up all the trans fluid. We only did one that I can recall with both the front and the rear of the car raised. It made it too hard to reach everything. Drain the fluid. 18" of rubber fuel line to cap the lines to the rad. Driveshaft stub to seal the back of the trans. Pull the distributor so it doesn't crush the cap against the firewall. Maybe even pull the top of the fan shroud.

No room ( or money ) for a proper trans jack which wouldn't fit anyways ? Tack some sheet metal ( like a street sign ) to the cup of the jack and a couple ratchet straps around the trans to hold it to the floor jack when you roll it in place. Get the back of the car as high as you can on truck stands and block both front wheels on both sides to keep it from rolling on you. Just need the car high enough to slip the trans out the back in front of the rear wheels

Jack up the back and take it out the back, huh? That's interesting. I've never done it that way. It's pretty cool to hear about a different approach. Thanks for posting that up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL
If you are pulling the engine make it easy on yourself and pull it with transmission attached.

Thats how i pulled the last motor /trans i yanked. but i had help from a few people to move the picker and swing and angle the motor/trans. this go around ill be doing it myself. So i think your right dropping the trans is more work, but easier when it come to pulling the block, IMO.
I "should" have the trans out to day.

Thanks again to the entire site. good information here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor