CUTLASS Success! Little blue light works again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
Replaced the bulb for the headlight switch indicator today. The technology that was used when the car was designed fascinates me! A regular bulb placed in a sealed canister connected to a fiber optic line attached to the headlight panel. Most probably don’t think it’s as cool as I do and maybe think, why go to the effort for something so small, but it’s all in the details for me! This has made my day!
DF744FAC-F0EA-4183-A698-6E0394EE4FB6.jpeg

Reactions: 16 users

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Replaced the bulb for the headlight switch indicator today. The technology that was used when the car was designed fascinates me! A regular bulb placed in a sealed canister connected to a fiber optic line attached to the headlight panel. Most probably don’t think it’s as cool as I do and maybe think, why go to the effort for something so small, but it’s all in the details for me! This has made my day! View attachment 206125
What wire goes to it

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There's a gray "pod" (IIRC, it's gray) up under the dash with a fiber optic line going up to a little clip which clips into the back of the headlight switch housing. Inside the pod is a T10 style, 192 bulb, similar to the 168 bulb. Although the 84 CSM doesn't even mention it, the bulb is a 192 (3 cp) based on the Toronado fiber optic call out. You can put a 168 (3 cp) in there and it will do just fine. It's there so you can see where the headlight switch is when you start the car at night since GM thought it was a great idea NOT to illuminate the headlight switches in the G-bodies.

Electrical service manual shows the ground for it, but doesn't show the power supply, so not sure of the power source. It has to come from an ignition source, however.

BTW, the GM part number is 9433143 superseded to ACDelco L168, p/n 9425542, which is a 168 bulb.

Reactions: 1 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Trying to do the same but not too certain of which wire plugs into the headlight switch....
This is the switch with the fiber optic cable and the light bulb cover. In the wiring harness there will be the socket for the light bulb that this cover snaps into and I think the bulb is powered by the pink with black stripe wire (circuit 39).
Fiber Optic for Head Light Switch 85-88 Cutlass.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I tend to read too fast sometimes and my mind fills in the "blanks" of words I skipped over so sometimes I need to go back and re-read. this is one of those occasions. "Success! Little blue pill works again!" wait, what?

• Haha

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
This is the switch with the fiber optic cable and the light bulb cover. In the wiring harness there will be the socket for the light bulb that this cover snaps into and I think the bulb is powered by the pink with black stripe wire (circuit 39).
View attachment 213746
What does the connection look like at the end of bulb cover...sorry to ask, I don't think mine has anything at end

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
If you take the gauge cluster out it should be on the left side coming from the main harness.

Sorry crappy Picture is all I have.

Fiberoptic socket and cover.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor