Suck N Blow Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I decided to start a build thread. I hope some of you will enjoy my build and maybe get something from it. I will recap what has been done in the last two years. I was looking for a better car to start with than what I currently had. I remembered a car when I was in high school that was pretty nice. So I stopped at the guy's house. Sure enough he still had it. It took about three months to get it bought. Good thing I got it bought because the old man is no longer with us. The car had sat in a shed for ten years. The guy did start it from time to time. The first thing I did was scrub it down and buy a new set of wheels. I fixed the missing trim pieces with good parts I had.
20160805_204121.jpg
The next things I did were. Replace the bumper crome pieces. Painted the trunk lid and buffed the paint. Tinkered with the engine and vacuum lines to get it to run better. Last winter I repainted a 8.5 rearend and put in my car. Boxed the lower control arms. Put drop spindles on the front and bigger anti roll bars.
20170707_193557.jpg
New brakes, u-joints, and ball joints.
20170107_171750.jpg
That pretty much gets up to were I am now. I know I left some stuff out, but you get the jist of it.

Reactions: 7 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Now for the fun part. My car is a Turbo model. It came with a 3.8 Buick draw through engine. The engine was replaced at some point in last 70000 miles with a factory replacement turbo engine. The previous owner said the engine only has a few hundred miles on it when I bought it. I think this is true because it is pretty clean and painted still. The car drivers nice and has a little go to it. The problem is it is only rated at 175 horsepower and the turbo lag is horrible. I am bored with the lack of power. Originally I was going to put a LS engine in one of these cars, but every one and there brother are doing that. I have messed with plenty of big and small block Chevy engines and am looking to challenge my self. So I decided to play with six cylinder engines insted. First I wanted to drop a 87 Grand National engine in my car, but prices on complete engines are expensive. Then I came up with the idea of turboing a 3800 series two engine. I have all the parts to make that happen, but decided it was too time consuming and too much fabricating for this time in my life. New baby at home and a three year old. I may do this later in life. So the plan is now. The low mile engine in my car is basically the same as the later turbo engines under neath the crap intake system. I have been gathering parts for two years to covert my engine from draw through to blow through turbocharged. That is were the name for build comes from. And hopefully does not blow (up). The goal is to have some get up and go, be able to beat a mild 350, have a/c, and drive any were. Here is what I am starting with.
20171014_123048.jpg
I did convert my radiator from the six cylinder radiator to an aluminum radiator with electric fans. Radiator went bad a few months ago so I went a head and converted it. Today I stripped down the engine to the basic engine. I took the exhaust manifolds and piping off with out breaking a single bolt!
20171015_154255.jpg
Stay tuned, lots more to come. Feel free to ask any thing or comment.

Reactions: 11 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is an awesome looking Monte and I really like that color, the pin stripping and the tire/wheel combo...:)

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
That is an awesome looking Monte and I really like that color, the pin stripping and the tire/wheel combo...:)
You are too kind! The car is no show car but presents well. I do not want it to be too nice were I am afraid to drive it, but want to be able to go to a cruise-in and be proud of it. I have two babies at home so something is bound to happen to it. I plan to repaint it when the kids grow up.

Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Here is a picture of the upper intake system for the people that are not familiar with the draw through set up. The lower intake has a two inch hole in it were the air and fuel enter. You can see why this is a dog of a set up and no good way to make it better.
20171015_154312.jpg
I am going to do a compression test on the engine before I go much further. The engine has been using a lot of oil. A quart every sixty miles. I was hoping it was the turbo, but it looks ok and piping was clean. As long as the compression is ok. I will plan on valve seals and maybe a valve spring change. Time will tell.

Reactions: 3 users

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
I think I have told you this in the past but it's worth saying again, I Love Your Monte!! :drool:
pontiacgp hit the nail on the head, it all looks GREAT together!
Looking forward to what the future brings.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I have to agree with pontiacgp and 406 Monte ...your Monte Carlo looks AWESOME! There is just something about dark or pearl colors on the 3 gen Monte Carlos that just makes them stand out.
I'm looking forward to your upgrades.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I think I have told you this in the past but it's worth saying again, I Love Your Monte!! :drool:
pontiacgp hit the nail on the head, it all looks GREAT together!
Looking forward to what the future brings.
Thank you for the kind comments. I can already see some problems with my ideas. It will be interesting how all the 87 turbo parts fit and work with the 80 block. In order for me to have A/C I need to set it up like a 87 turbo engine, but I think the distributor is going to be in the way. Stay tuned for some delemas.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You are too kind! The car is no show car but presents well. I do not want it to be too nice were I am afraid to drive it, but want to be able to go to a cruise-in and be proud of it. I have two babies at home so something is bound to happen to it. I plan to repaint it when the kids grow up.

great to see someone with the right priorities, your kids will pay you back with love and respect....:)

just don't expect them to pay back any "loans".....:D

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
great to see someone with the right priorities, your kids will pay you back with love and respect....:)

just don't expect them to pay back any "loans".....:D
Thank you. Only thing is garage time is limited. Good reason to put concrete and isolation in there so they can play too.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor