Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Here is some pictures of the car show. View attachment 91700

20180706_194817-jpg.91700

In Nebraska, this would get ridiculed: Battery re-location kits are $30. Must be an Iowa thing.:banana:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Please throw that knock gauge in the trash and run slightly better fuel than you need. Hell, just put a alcohol injection kit on it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Please throw that knock gauge in the trash and run slightly better fuel than you need. Hell, just put a alcohol injection kit on it.

I would love those clowns at the track that would run pump gas and when they turned up the boost and got knock, their first response was to turn up the fuel pressure. My first response was to walk over to the race gas trailer and buy 2 gallons of 116 Octane. Unlike the fuel pressure fiddler's, I never blew a head gasket in hundreds of passes. My FP was always 45 psi line off.

Reactions: 2 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
where the hell are all these shows at?
Three of them are Jamar's Drive-in car show in Fort Dodge. First Friday night of June,July,and August. One was Kamrar car show a few weeks ago. That one was about five miles from my house. Larson Auto body I think does one every month on a Wednesday. Boone used to do one too.
20180706_194817-jpg.91700

In Nebraska, this would get ridiculed: Battery re-location kits are $30. Must be an Iowa thing.:banana:
There is a lot wrong with that setup if you look close. I think one turbo that size would run better than the two of them. I don't think they will live long with the screen for air cleaners any ways. Cross the river drunken hillbilly! Just kidding.
That is kind of what I am thinking. I am running 93 with only 10 psi or less of boost with pretty low timing. I would think it would be just fine. My plan is to add a injection system later and turn the boost up. I am trying to get the bugs worked out first.
I would love those clowns at the track that would run pump gas and when they turned up the boost and got knock, their first response was to turn up the fuel pressure. My first response was to walk over to the race gas trailer and buy 2 gallons of 116 Octane. Unlike the fuel pressure fiddler's, I never blew a head gasket in hundreds of passes. My FP was always 45 psi line off.
How much boost were you running? Just curious. I might get some Cam2 and play a little in the fall. I want to keep it together for the Summer at least. No ideas on why my timing is dropping to 0* of the line?

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
How much boost were you running? Just curious. I might get some Cam2 and play a little in the fall. I want to keep it together for the Summer at least. No ideas on why my timing is dropping to 0* of the line?

Stock turbo, I was running 18 psi and very high timing chips. Small turbo's like timing + octane. Knock show up on the 2-3 shift and reduced trap mph by 3-5 mph. A couple gallons of race gas and knock completely went away. It was the difference between running 12.99 @ 103 mph with almost a completely stock set up, to running 12.7's @ 107 mph. After ultraflow dual 2.5's, mph went up 4 mph to 110 mph and ET dropped to 12.2's.

Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Stock turbo, I was running 18 psi and very high timing chips. Small turbo's like timing + octane. Knock show up on the 2-3 shift and reduced trap mph by 3-5 mph. A couple gallons of race gas and knock completely went away. It was the difference between running 12.99 @ 103 mph with almost a completely stock set up, to running 12.7's @ 107 mph. After ultraflow dual 2.5's, mph went up 4 mph to 110 mph and ET dropped to 12.2's.
That is pretty impressive. Your exhaust made a huge difference. It is on the list for winter, because mine is restrictive and glasspacks on a six cylinder is dumb. How much timing were you running? I am not sure were the timing should be, just going by trial and error.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
That is pretty impressive. Your exhaust made a huge difference. It is on the list for winter, because mine is restrictive and glasspacks on a six cylinder is dumb. How much timing were you running? I am not sure were the timing should be, just going by trial and error.

The exhaust I had was Cherry bomb glass packs turned around backwards, because some guru in the 1990's (pre internet) said in a news letter this was the hot set up and the previous owner of the car listened to this bad advice. Modern Cherry Bombs use smooth, perforated pipes and flow great, Cherry Bombs from the 1990's were louvered internally and made a lot of backpressure, and were terrible mufflers for turbo cars, backwards or forwards.

I Installed a Dump pipe instead of a cat test pipe and picked up 4 mph on a high 12 second car. I swapped the mufflers from 1990's Cherry Bombs to Ultraflows and there was zero difference between having the dump capped or uncapped, even at 11.50's @118.

I think the chips I used were around 24 degrees of timing. Thrasher 108, the greatest small injector chip, ever, was about 26 degrees, but needed more octane - like 4 gallons of 116 vs. 2.

I was also running a super cooled intercooler (I would hudson spray the stock intercooler in the pits) so evaporation and low dew point would make the intercooler cold to the touch, even in 80 degree temps, as long as the humidity was low. On cold days you could nearly freeze your hand to the intercooler. That had to be worth at least a couple tenths.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
What type of upgrades are you planning ? Like maybe some port work .run fuel injection instead of carbs. a custom camshaft. or an intercooler.for some examples

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
What type of upgrades are you planning ? Like maybe some port work .run fuel injection instead of carbs. a custom camshaft. or an intercooler.for some examples
You really should read through the thread before commenting or you have tuning experience.

Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I messed with the car tonight for a little while. I took my raty hood insulation off.
20180722_202233.jpg
I replaced it with a new one.
20180722_210114.jpg
Over all I am not impressed with it, but it does look better now. The factory one is molded to fit the contours of the hood and the new one is not so it sagging in the counters. I messed around and tried to figure out the timing drop at launch, but had no luck. The car will not do a burnout. It still gets up and rocks though! Like it has launch control. It has that feature, but it is disabled. I checked. I will get a hold of Chris and ask him.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor